Should I be upset? I'm so frustrated. This will be a continued question..

So recently, my SO and I had to get roommates because our rent was too high to afford on our own. (Long story short, we could afford it then the recession hit and no work..) So our good friends moved in and are now living with us. We were previously pet-less until our RM (roommates) So we said to leave the dog outside during the day and when you're home, bring her inside. Now, this dog is a Huskey, so quite the lrg dog. Anyways, I go away with DD tovisit family, leaving a note for our RM to vacuum after his dog, reasonable I thought as it is his dog. Well I come home, our dishes are all over the place, the dishwasher hasn't been run since I left, the counters are sticky, there's dog hair all over the place,a nd the dog pissed on the carpet in the living room, and rippe dup the carpet in the RM room. You know I thought at least they could clean up after themselves and vacuum. Not hard. I spent the whole day cleaning up MY

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• CONTINUED: Dishes, and cleaning the counters. I vacuumed the hallway and the kitchen and left their living room the discusting mess it was to begin with. Then I go downstairs and they had watched a movie on mine and SO's tv. THEY HAVE THEIR OWN!!! I'm so frustrated. Everything was a pig sty and a discusting mess. I'm upset because my 11 month old DD doesn't need to be crawling on the floor and picking up chunks of dog hair to eat.What should I do? I've spoken to both the RM and the landlord and they just act like I'm some lunatic. I'm really anal about having a clean house, but I've let somethings slide. I'm just sooo frustrated!!!I feel a bit better telling you guys this, but I can't get over how gross this house was. And to top it off, they both just sat there on the couch watching me clean up their mess. I didn't want to do it but I had to.. it was so gross. And they haven't put in any of their own dishes in the cupboards
    Anonymous

• CONTINUED: And continuesly use ours. I guess being nice about things isn't getting me anywhere. i told them they could use our dishes until they get theirs un packed. They're been here a week already and the only stuff un packed in their room and a tv stand with a video game console and some dvds.. half of which are ours that they just go and use without asking.

SO FRUSTRATED!!!!! #$#@%$%#@!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• you have a child and they need to respect that. i would have downsized, roommates are a pain in the ass as it is never mind with a baby and/or pet involved. open your mouth and if nothing is done maybe you can try to move to a cheaper place. it might be tight for your fam. but it will be clean and orderly. i cannot tolerate a messy house and i have all boys so that is tough competition. it stays clean though bc everyone knows they will get an earful if they dont keep it neat. talk to your SO for a solution you can both live with and if your RM wants to keep up the mess, charge them for your cleaning services!
    Anonymous

• Tell them that they need to get off their asses and get to helping out, just because they moved in and are paying rent does not mean that they are paying you to be their maid. You may have to sit and have a heart to heart with them and just let them know that you appreciate the fact that they are there and you want them to be happy and feel at home, but ultimately it is your home and they need to be respectful of how you want things to be kept, not to mention that having a young child in the house means they need to be more diligent with their messes and their pet. Good luck, living with friends is sometimes the hardest thing you will ever do...been there, done that, got screwed over.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It's not easy living with roommates. I don't miss those days at all. Keep it civil. If you yell and exchange a lot of cruel insults there will be tension, the house will still be a mess and you'll be uncomfortable in your own home. Have a real sit down with them. Explain that you're greatful to have them there to help out with the rent but the housekeeping standards must be raised. Keep it level headed. If they don't respond well to it, give them a month or two notice and look for different roommates. If that's not an option suck it up and do it yourself. It's not fair, but living with people that can't stand you is even harder.
    2bennettmom

Answer by 2bennettmom at 11:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Sounds like they are being very childish and allowing you to do all the house work because they know you will. Have you thought about making up a chore chart? Assign duties to everyone in the home and give it a reasonable time limit to be completed. Also make up a pay rate for all uncompleted chores with an exact dollar amount. If you have to do one of the chores because they failed to do it then charge them. They will either pay you for your extra work, that you are doing anyways, or do it themselves. Hold a household meeting so everyone know what is expected of them and the consequences of not fulfilling their duties. Date it and have everyone sign it. Then make a copy for yourself , encase the original one is lost, and post the original in a predominate place for all to see. It worked for my daughter, good luck
    Gemaof4

Answer by Gemaof4 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Have they paid you any money yet? Because I have the feeling they haven't and won't.
    Anonymous

• I am totally with you about the clean house. I am not totally anal, but I also don't have any pets, other than a fish, to contend with. You and the roommates need to write up a contract about what you will do, what you can touch, who does what chores. Then everyone needs to sign the paper, make a copy, and post the rules where everyone can see. You also need to come up with consequences. This way everyone knows what to do, and maybe they might grow up a little bit. I know this sounds a little juvenile, but it was we did in college and this is how we learned to respect each other and their things. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2009