Are you using a straw cup for your baby?

My son is 18months and I can't get him to drink from a straw. My nephew who is only 6 weeks older has been drinking from it for a while. Any suggestions on how to train him? Is it even really necessary just yet? He is drinking from sippy cups only.

Alisamom

Asked by Alisamom at 11:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think sippy cups are fine, my daughter likes the straw cups but has not exactly grasped the concept of not having to tip the cup yet. I prefer sippy cups myself actually. :) Remember, every child learns things at a different pace, he will get it when he is ready.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The ones with the straws are not necessary. My 19 month old DD had one that her granny bought her but she sucked in too much ever time and strangled, so I threw it away. My son is 3 and he hates them. I am working with my 19 month old to drink out of a cup with no lid.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Its really a matter of preference...as long as they're drinking from something other than a bottle...I think you're doing well. I started mine on the straw and she won't take a regular sippy cup.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I agree as long as it's something other than a bottle. My 11 mo drinks from a straw well and has for a while, but I guess since I started him so early, he just adapted easily. I don't think there's any reason for concern. Obviously your child does better with a sippy than a straw, so just use the sippy. My 3 yo still drinks from sippy cups throughout the day. At meal time, I suggest giving a cup with no top around age 2. For on the go with a cup, though sippies are great.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I got my DD interested in the straw cups by givining her drinks from regular straws. I would put the straw in water or milk and put my finger over the top to hold the liquid in it and put the other end in her mouth. You could try doing this for and while and see if he likes the idea and then give him the straw cup. Like the others said, it is not neccesary for him to drink from a straw cup if he uses other sippies. I started my daughter around 10 months or so because she could not get the idea of tipping a sippy cup and could only use them while laying down Now she doesnt like regular sippies unless they have a soft spout but still insists that she lay down to drink from them.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I taught DS & DD to drink from straws by letting them try milkshakes (please don't flame me, they only had a little bit!!). I would suck up the shake until it was right at the top of the straw so when they started sucking, it was instant gratification. They both picked it up in no time. If your DS doesn't like a straw cup, just drop it. Use a sippy cup if necessary & work with him on drinking from a regular cup as well.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 3:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't give a straw to a baby (my choice) but to a toddler, sure.

I would work with him on it, but it's not necessary to get him of a sippy yet. A straw will help further his oral motor development, but there's less rush to get on a straw (or regular cup) than there is to get rid of bottles in general.

Mine were on a straw cup at a year, but they took easily to it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• mine is 19 months old and he will use a straw but prefers the sippy cups I dont think it really matters
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• it dont really matter both of mine prefer the straw cup my daughter never liked the sippys so i gave her the straw cup and shes been on them since and im starting her on reg cups now (shes 2) and my son will drink from sippys and from straw cups < prob from watching sissy (hes almost1) so it doesnt matter if urs doesnt want it fine dont waste the money on them cuz they will chew chew chew the straws trust me but he might never want them he might go from the sippys to reg cups
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2009