When do you stop diluting the juices when giving your child drinks?

I give my 18 month old about 3-cups of milk a day and a few sippy cups with 1/3 part juice and the rest water. Am I depriving him of the nutrients in the juices by diluting it? Or should I continue to dilute it? In a couple of weeks when he goes for his 18-mth check up I figured I'm going to ask the doctor. Also, any other drinks that are acceptable yet? We drink crystal lite... is that ok from time to time?

Alisamom

Asked by Alisamom at 11:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my childs dr say (when he was 18 months) that 8oz of milk is all he needs becasue to much milk will keep him from getting thing like iorn other was id to much so i give him 8 oz of milk a day and then 2 8oz cups of juice 4oz juice and 4oz water one time and same the 2nd time and the rest of the time just water.
    mammaboyz113

Answer by mammaboyz113 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My son is 3 and my daughter is 19 months old...I still dilute the juice I give BOTH of them..the water is better for them rather than all that sugar. My kids get one sippy cup full of milk when they get up in the morning and a half a sippy when they take a nap and another whole sippy when they go to bed at night. (they don't take it to bed with them and they never finish the whole thing at night) I give both of mine V8 juice with the fruit mixed in, I fix smoothies for them with sugar free vanilla ice cream, apples, bananas, and strawberries(you can fix it with any fruit you want to) and they love it....I get sugar free ice cream because they get plenty of sugar and sweet tastes with the fruit. Hope this helps and gives you more ideas.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My son is 6 and I still dilute his juice, when he gets it. As for crystal lite...I'd never give my 6 year old that let alone a baby. We tend to buy different juice for my son to drink aside from what we drink.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• OK - thank you! I especially appreciate your answer 2wndrfl - Big help! Thanks!
    Alisamom

Answer by Alisamom at 11:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• your welcome
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My boys are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2. I dilute both of their juices. My oldest drinks milk throughout the day and some juice, his juice is diluted about half and half, a little more juice than water. My 1 1/2 year old on the other hand absolutely refuses to drink milk, even chocolate and strawberry, no matter how often we try. He gets his dairy other ways. So he is always drinking juice. He hates straight water so I add just enough juice to give it flavor, which is a quarter juice if that. If you give your child crystal light I would also dilute that as well. My boys on occasion will have lemonade and such, I dilute because of all the sugar. If that is how they are used to then they will drink it.
    Anonymous

• I give my 2.5 year old mainly water with about 2 oz of juice ONCE a day since it cuases her to pee ALOT more than milk or plain water . I only give her Mots for Tots or Juicy Juice . She LOVES milk and would drink it all day but I don't allow that either 1-2 cups a day , she gets water in between . As for Crystal Light .......not sure if has Aspertane in it but it is NOT good for toddlers/kids and even adults so I would look into that. I am actually allergic to aspertane so I stay away form it since it makes my throat close up.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 11:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• thanks anonymous -makes sense. I'll skip the crystal lite altogether. Just wasn't sure of other alternatives to diluted juice. From all these answers it looks like I'm going to stick with what I'm doing.
    Alisamom

Answer by Alisamom at 11:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would still dilute to make sure he's getting enough water. You may also give him tea. Herbal teas help settle the tummy. I give my 11 mo a few sips of tea every now and then, especially if he's fussy.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i dilute a lot of the drinks i give my son, hes 24 months old...juice, gatorade, vitamin water...i wouldnt worry so much about the lacking of nutrients or anything from watering the stuff down and if you are, just give your child a multi-vitamin. they even sell drops for kids that cant chew a chewable.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2009