Do you sometimes say NO to your teens when you really have no good reason why? Maybe something just doesnt feel "right" so you just say no and then feel guilty!! (a little!!)

Sometimes I say NO to requests of my teenagers just because something just doesnt feel right or im just not ready to address a certain life issue or whatever. Then I feel slightly guilty (not for long though!!)

I'm just wondering if anyone else just goes by their instinct?

This can be hard with teens. They do not like the No word!!! Oh wellbummer for them!!!

No is a wonderful word!!!

einubermommy

Asked by einubermommy at 11:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I tell them NO when ever I think something is not right with the request. I have caught to many of them doing things they should not be doing. I don't feel guilty or remorse. I feel that I am the adult responsible for teaching them. Sometimes they get an explanation and sometimes I say I don't need to explain myself this time. They need to hear No every now and then, they can learn to overcome, problem solving, and patients for that simple little word. I know teens can be tough but we have to be strong for them. I have had 14 teen so far, mostly fosters, and they all survived my No's now and then. LOL
    Gemaof4

Answer by Gemaof4 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I've learn the hard why. Thank God it wasn't anything major but big enough. Now if I have that feeling deep within it's No. Being the adult my husband and I have to many the choice and teach then so they can know what's right and way. They don't like it right now but in time they will understand and will say thank you. Yes, it's tough love but we as parents have too!!!
    Derenza

Answer by Derenza at 12:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yes, I do and I don't feel one bit guilty. I am the parent and it is my right to be able to tell my teen no whenever I want, with or without reason. IF he doesn't like it, too bad. Hearing no is a good thing, they will hear it a lot as they growup and become adults.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• All the time, and I do feel so guilty. I know I shouldn't, but my husband and I both discussed my guilt and I should not feel guilty for going with my gut and being a mom. I have also realized that when my 15 DS is mad at me I am doing my job.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 8:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I agree with dillonsma. I say No and then some times even I'm sorry. But I'm working on that!
    I have always tried to keep communication open, and don't like my girls (12 &16) to not be happy.
    Of course that lasts about 5 mins. and then we are on to the next thing! They have to learn to be disappointed sometimes because God knows it will happen out in the real world.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2009