Do you sometimes say NO to your children when you really have no good reason why? Maybe something just doesnt feel "right" so you just say no and then feel guilty!! (a little!!)

I say no to my kids for no good or valid reason - sometimes i just get a feeling or something just doesnt feel right.

... like parenting by the seat of my pants!!! lol

how bout you? ever say no?

einubermommy

Asked by einubermommy at 11:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, it happens to me all the time. Parenting sometimes is by trial and error. We always want the best for them either way...
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yes (but no guilt), and right now I'm practicing saying No just to give him some extra practice on hearing it without having a tantrum. He's had a rough week with the "gimmies" and so I'm giving him lots of opportunities to accept NO as an answer without a tantrum. If he can go one more night and morning without a tantrum when I tell him No, then tomorrow night we will go to the ball game and fireworks as planned. If he has even one more tantrum when I say No, whether with good reason or not, then no ball game. Which is why we're home tonight, in fact. He had to accept either one no for tonight or two no's - tonight and tomorrow night. He accepted tonight's No fireworks in exchange for being able to go to tomorrow's festivities.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My husband and I do this often. I think I recognize it more than him. Many times it's out of habit, which is totally not fair to my daughter. We move so quickly through life and don't often realize that we say no so often. When we are challenged about our answer, my husband just gives that typical parent response of "because I said so". I think kids need to know the answer to that question so that they learn why for future reference. There are times that I really don't know the answer and just tell her that we are older than her and with age comes wisdom from our past experiences. That answer works pretty well.
    Carrielou13

Answer by Carrielou13 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2009