Help with resume.

I have recently finished school for medical transcription and am in the process of writing my resume. My first question is how should I list that I have been a stay at home mom for the last 4 years? My second is that since I have never really held a job as a medical transcriptionist, should I list what areas I was trained while in school under my education heading? Thanks in advance!

txmom1021

Asked by txmom1021 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• DO you have ANY work experience? If not.....or if the experience is more than ten years in the past and not relevent...then just treat this as an entry-level resume. I wouldn't even address the SAHM part, to be honest.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers are looking for! Time management, budgeting, logistics, etc. Additionally, many stay at home moms do volunteer work: PTA, house of worship, etc; that requires skills that employers are looking for.
    I very strongly recommend networking with people in your chosen field and/or having a couple of informational interviews with people who do what you want to do.
    I do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation. Feel free to contact me directly –Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• but if you have any tattoos (visible one) rkoloms wont hire you
    Anonymous