what can i do to make sure i am able to breast feed?

my mom was always dry and so was my sister. will i be dry to? i want to be able to breast feed...

wickedclownmomi

Asked by wickedclownmomi at 11:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Good for you. Don't smoke, eat healthy foods, drink plenty of water. Just take care of yourself, and you should be able to produce enough milk for your baby. And utilize the lactation consultant at the hospital, assuming you plan to deliver at a hospital.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• GO TO LA LECHE LEAGUE! Do it now during your pregnancy. Educate yourself. Chances are your mom and sister were not dry. How do they know they weren't producing enough milk? The ONLY way to know for sure is baby's weight gain, and a lot of outside factors can contribute to low milk supply (overuse of pacifiers, insufficient sucking, not putting baby to breast often enough, scheduling, giving bottles etc). Start talking to your LLL leaders and start reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. The more education and support you have the better you will do! 98% of women can breastfeed their babies! Remember that!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I agree with the PP, also you can call a lactation consultant now and talk to her about your concerns. You can also take a breastfeeding class. I took one when I was about 6months pregnant, I feel it really helped me.
    If you go in "knowing" in you mind that formula is not an option, then it is much easier.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• ditto on the consultant now. don't wait until later

Answer by admckenzie at 12:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Educate yourself. Many moms who think they're dry actually aren't...they don't know what to look for and then they mess themselves up.

"So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro is a grat basic book.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group, too.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2009