what do you do if your child who is 17 months old bites and hits?

My son bites and hits and i put him in time out and the doctore said don't hit him or bite him back so what can i do?

mamak86

Asked by mamak86 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You pick him up, hold him at arm lenght (don't snuggle!), you look him in the eye and you firmly but calmly say "NO HITTING".
    Then you carry him to an empty playpen, put him in it, and turn your back. Ignore his screams and cries. After 1.5 minutes (1/2 minute per 1/2 year of age), you take him out and put him back where he was.

It takes time. Lots of time. He'll get it. But you have to be patient, calm, and consistent.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• when my dd hit me I would hold her hands down at her sides and tell her not to hit, hitting is mean. When she tried to wriggle free, I held them down tighter so she couldn't move them. About a min later I would let her move again. It only took 3 times in 6 months... As far as biting, I bite her once after she bit me when she was 13 months old and she hasn't bit me since.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• when my DD (18 month) hits I grab her hand and give it a firm but not painful squeeze and tell her 'No Mam We Do Not Hit' and then let it go. I will not start time out until she is 2. When she bites which is unusual for her I put my hand gently over her mouth usually only using 3 fingers and tell her "No Mam We Do Not Bite' Again letting it go after that. She will grow out of it or when she gets a little older she will do time out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• why are you taking parenting advice from your doctor?

In my experiance the quickest way to stop biting is to bite back, usually kids stop after they see it hurts. Hitting.... well. When I worked at a daycare mostly I saw that the kids hit when they feel frustrated. So start watching him, and when hes is just starting to get frustrated and angry, step him and help calm him down. Biggest senario I saw in the daycare is somone would hit when they were having a toy taken from them. In those cases I would step him, tell the "stealer", "we don't take from others hands", and reidrect the child to a different toy or activity, I would usually simply rub the other childs back and talk to them to calm them down. As they get older you can start explaining that if they can't resolve the issue with words, then come and tell mommy or daddy what is going on so that we can help resolve the issue. ........cont
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• guess my point is, if your son is hitting out of frustration or anger, then you need to step in before it turns to hitting and teach him how to react to the situation apropreatly. Its your job as a parent to help him learn how to control his emotions, and not lash out in them. If he is hitting because he thinks its funny.... you could try timeouts... but my experiance is that time outs do not work well at that age for anything but whining. If my toddler started hitting because she tought it was funny, she would be getting a spanking. So far we haven't had to deal with hitting with our children.
    BTW, there are plenty of people who will argue that spanking only teaches a child to hit. Yet my kids are spanked and dont hit. Hitting is a naturall impulse to emotion. It doesn't need to be taught, but self control does. Spanking does help develop restraint, and restraint develops self control.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• those will all help me thanks. i let my doctore give me advise because his wife baby sits me son and he thinks its funny to hit and bite we do the time out in the play pin and the hand thing he just thinks its fun i actually let my sisters son bit him back and my son bit himself he dosent feel pain i dnt think and he also hits him self he thinks its funny
    mamak86

Answer by mamak86 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2009