Do babies have nightmares?

My 5 week old does not like to sleep during the day. He has started staying awake between his 5-6am feeding and his 8-9 am feeding, which in itself is not a problem. But for the rest of the day, he fights going to sleep, even though he is visibly exhausted. He will get into light sleep for about 20 minutes and then right before going into deep sleep, will wake himself up. Also, sometimes I notice when he does sleep, that he whimpers and flails his arms and legs as if upset, but doesn't completely wake up. Does anyone know if babies have bad dreams? And anyone have any advice about getting him to deep sleep?

KarenAmbrose

Asked by KarenAmbrose at 1:19 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think they do. I believe that my daughter, when she was that young, had nightmares about her delivery (lol) but really I do. They can only dream what they already know, I know that much...so what does a 5 week old know? Birth was the only thing I could think of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Damn, that's not good. We rushed him back to the hospital at 10 days for what turned out to be a bladder and a blood infection. He (we) were hospitalized for 10 days for his IV antibiotics. I guess I know what he's dreaming about!
    KarenAmbrose

Answer by KarenAmbrose at 2:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• There you have it, now you know what he is dreaming about :) I think my DD grew out of it (or forgot (lol)) by around two or three months. Good luck Momma!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• guess they just like moving around!!! i dont know about that cuz my baby had a beautiful birth, through a c section and he didnt have to do any hard work getting out :) they took him out easily and it was planned one too, so everything went beautifully, and he still swings his hands in the air, but there were couple of times where he falls asleep and just starts crying hard out of nowhere, (probably a dream, but who knows) maybe they got used to of being with/inside mommy at all times and now they are alone :( so maybe they scared that mommy is not with them, ahh! who knows, but my suggestion is keep on wrapping him in a blanket tightly, really really does help!! helped me, cuz he starts wiggling to wake himself up but since he cant really move so he just falls back sleep!!! :)and turn on calming music ,not song, but music, soft music, good luck!!! take care :)
    TrueLove4eva

Answer by TrueLove4eva at 1:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2009