Is my daughter about to start?

My 9yo dd has been EXTREMELY irritable this week. Last night, I was up with her most of the night because her "tummy" hurt. She laid on the couch all day today, curled up. She said holding a pillow to her abdomen helps her feel better. I asked her if she's been going number 2 alright and she said she has, so I don't think it's that. My SO went through puberty very early (full beard and shaving at 10!). I didn't until I was 14, so I'm not sure what to expect here...any opinions?

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 2:35 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• She might be my DD started at 9. I would make an appointment to take her to the doc and just make sure thats it! Also her is alittle trick for the tummy ack. Give her 1 small piece of Chocolate a day and it will help with the craps .... sounds weird but works
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• In many cases, a child will gain a bit of weight, about 10 pounds or so. And they will get really sensitive, emotional. I was nine when I started my period. My niece was just here for a visit and she has become this little ball of emotional goo. She has started having to wear training bras and I think hers may be right around the corner. She will be 10 in the fall. I would take her to the doctor if it persists, and perhaps give her a heating pad for her tummy ache. And I would also take this time to discuss with her the changes that her body will be going through, if not now but within the next few years, if you haven't already done so.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• awh it could be that, or should could have a stomach ache/bug but it sounds likely if your son had a beard at 10
    Maisey-May

Answer by Maisey-May at 8:32 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Thats not too early for puberty, but it does sound a bit early for a period. She might have just had a stomach ache. My oldest dd started at 11 1/2 and now my 11 yr old is developing, but I took her into the doctor because one of her nipples was leaking some discharge and she said that she had about another year until she started. I had figured that and the discharge turned out to be just a puberty thing. No big deal. Shes been overly emotional for over a year. So the mood thing goes on for awhile before she actually starts. Just keep and eye on her and ask her to tell you if she sees anything. Tylenol should help if shes that miserable.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• There are other signs....if all of those are present, then maybe....Some girls do start really early, which I think is a shame, but there is nothing we can do about it either way so.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My daughter is 10 and has had "cramps" about 5 times this past school year. the pediatrician said that it was probably the beginnings of her body going through changes. She also has smal breasts, pubic hair, body odor, and under arm hair. I think it is just around the corner. I don't know if your DD has any other characteristics, but the cramping could be the first!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• just be careful... when i was thirteen i had a really bad stomach ache and my mom kept brushing it off, convinced i was about to start my period. finally after two days, they called the doc because i couldn't walk upright. turns out, my appendix had burst and the surgeon told her i was about two hours away from dying. (yep, i can still make her feel bad about that one). not trying to freak you out, that was an extreme case, but my mom thought it was my period because of my age.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• no she needs to make sure she is drinking alot of water and hot drinks like tea. Make sure she chews her food and check for food allergies. like lactose ect Have her work out on a reguliar basis. walking,jog ect
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 12:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It's very possible. I started at 9 years old unfortunately I don't remember the first "signs"
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I started at 10 Just treat her the way you handle it for yoursef...

She is now a young lady or a little miss...well once she starts.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009