Looking for a quick, inexpensive, filling breakfast for my husband.

My husband's job has been very demanding lately. He barely enough time to take a lunch break anymore. Because of that, his breakfast doesn't seem to be carrying him through to lunch anymore and he is getting bad hunger pangs at about 11 am. He can't really take snacks, and he doesn't have much time in the mornings (about 5 minutes max for preparation). So we need ideas for something that may help. He was eating a big bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit. Then he switched to some of those frozen, microwavable breakfast bowls and a piece of fruit. Neither have the staying power he needs. Thanks!

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:40 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Make him a cheese and bacon omlette, they have the precooked bacon now at Aldi's for about 2 bucks a package, it's actually pretty good and you can make an omelette in under two minutes. If he is short on time, make a big fat omlette, cut it in half, and make two breakfast sandwhiches using croissants or italian bread (toast it with butter first). Not heart healthy, but I made these before and we could barely eat both of them. I would eat one on the way to work and wrap the other in a paper towel and scarf it about 6 hours later (not bad cold, but definitely better if he can heat it up). The eggs, cheese, and bacon have a pretty hefty dose of protein (which makes you feel full longer) and the carbs in the toast give alot of energy. Plus they're yummy! Just like everything else bad for you out there :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• What about drinking a breakfast shake on his drive there? He can eat whatever the cereal or the micro thing. And then grab a shake on his way out and drink it in the car. It might help?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I'm big on oatmeal, I think it really sticks with you.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I would get the breakfast shakes have him still eat whatever else he's been eating. Oatmeal is good for sticking to you.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I know this is fattening but bacon provides a lot of good protiens. Make him a bacon and egg burrito, add some cheese for calcium.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My SO's job is very physically demanding and every morning beforehand he eats an egg or two & a big bowl of oatmeal & he says he's good 'til around 1. The shake idea is good, too. He could just bring that to work and sip on it if he gets hungry!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:17 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Have you ever cooked with quinoa? It is a whole grain, loaded with protein, and has complete amino acids. It is VERY important to rinse it well before using, or it will be bitter. Cook the quinoa after dinner for the next morning's breakfast: This is similar to museli or Swiss Oatmeal
    Breakfast Quinoa:
    Cook 1 cup of quinoa in 1 cup of water and one cup of apple juice.
    Chill.
    Dice 2 small or 1 large apple, add to cooked quinoa
    Add dried raisins and/or cranberries and chopped walnuts or whatever you have (I just add them until it looked like enough, maybe 1/2 cup of each?)
    Stir in vanilla yogurt to coat and make it bind together about 1- 1 1/2 cups. serve cold.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Another idea that be different that I grew up with was an egg sandwich. It only takes a minute to scramble and egg, toast the bread and add a touch of butter. He could add a slice of cold cheese and it will melt from the hot toast and egg. Paired with a good protein shake or for cost conscienceness, maybe a glass of that brand that used to be out many years ago, Walmart still carries it, called Instant Breakfast or something, usually found where you buy choc. milk mix. Then a whole banana for protassium. This would give him enough protein, a starch, and with a glass of v-8 2 servings of his fruit/veg.

Also, pack him a small container or snack baggie with about 7-10 almonds (not a whole bag or even a handful) for even better health benefits. I take 4-7 almonds right before I hit the gym for a protein boost.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• You could try breakfast burritos. Cooks a bunch of eggs and sasuage and mix together. Then add onions, green peppers and salsa. Then wrap in a flour tortilla. You can make a large batch at once and then he can just grab one or two or three, lol microwave and eat on the way to work. My hubby loves these!
    psychmama

Answer by psychmama at 11:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• carnation instant breakfast, ensure... protein type enriched drinks.
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 3:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2009