thinking about IUD..good or bad?

so im thinking about getting the mirena iud but dont know if it will be in my best intrest...ive heard of people bleeding the whole time on it, or having seriously irregular periods like bleeding and then going months without bleeding and off and on..and also ive heard of being extremely hormonal on it...ive had the depo shot before and i bled the whole 3 months and i didnt go back to get my second shot..so just want to hear your stories and input of those who had it compared to other birth controls you were on if any...since i had that experience with the depo, do you think it would be a bad idea to do the iud? because it really frustrates me having an irregular period..

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 4:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just got mine june 15th so i havent really had a period yet. but my dr said it makes your periods really light and sometimes go away compeletly. i was excited to get it so we wouldnt have to use condoms anymore bc they are so icky, but after reading so many women on here saying they are still getting pregnant im not taking that 1% chance lol! so i guess ill keep it to be extra protected and lighter periods. good luck!!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 5:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I have had the IUD for almost 3 years now (in october its 3 years).... It has its ups and downs.... some months I have a period, other months I just get cramps and no period! Mostly its no period though... its stressful at times, but then at the same time I like it- I dont have to deal with a period every month! LOL... I never have bled more than 3 days with the IUD... but everyone is different! My other experiences with birth control are these..... I got pregnant with my daughter when I was taking the pill... EVERYDAY at the SAMETIME!!! and I got pregnant with my son when I was on the depo shot... which I was never late on getting either!!! LOL So I did the IUD because I figured that I could take a shot at it... I figured that if I got pregnant again that would be my last child since I would get my tubes tied! BUT I feel like my sex drive has dropped a TON!!! Maybe its all the stress in my life- who knows? Good luck!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 7:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Try a diapram. It is perfectly safe, has no side effects, no hormones, no history of class action law suits or infertility and it is instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I love my mirena. For the first 3 wks I spotted and now I have light regular periods. And I mean LIGHT. Lol. The only downside I found is being a tad more emotional and hubby can feel it.
    melissa0425

Answer by melissa0425 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 5, 2009