How can I get my newborn to switch her nights & days?

She is almost a month old. I try to keep her awake during the day, but when she wants to sleep I can't keep her awake. She is always wide awake from about 2 am till 5 am. If a lay her in her crib, she screams her head off, she is fine as long as I am feeding her or put her in her swing, she just sits there wide awake. I know she needs to eat every couple of hours but I want her to go back to sleep afterwards. Any advice?

Goodolgirl

Asked by Goodolgirl at 5:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• shes almost a month old . give it time it wont happen over night
    my daughter is 2 1/2 months old and just got it straight
    also was about the time my son did it too
    when they need to sleep they sleep lol
    i know pain in th ebutt but it will happen
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• In the middle of the night when she wakes up, try to keep it as mellow as possible. No lights, no talking. When my dd would wake up in the middle of the night, I would take her into the living room and lay in the recliner with her. She would nurse and we would both sleep. When ever she got hungry, she would somehow find my boob and start nursing and fall right back to sleep. This was the ONLY way that I got her to start sleeping throught the night. We did it together. :o) After that ...at about 2 or 3 months old, she started sleeping in her swing until about 6 months when I finally got her into her crib. Just remember....keep it REALLY mellow in the middle of the night so she starts learning that it's time to sleep.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 5:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• i don't think you should try to keep you baby up during the day..she's too young. you should try sleeping during the day when she sleeps. she will eventually adjust to the time. newborns normally sleep all the time. And everyday is a different story. mine is 3 months now and she's just starting to sleep thru the night. they will adjust.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 5:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• With an infant, you don't get to decide when the baby sleeps. Parents need to be flexible. Being a parent is hard work and there are a lot of sleepless nights. My daughter was 8 months old before she ever slept 6 solid hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• i am goign through the same thing, my sone is 5 weeks and usually wakes up ever hour to hour and half at night to eat. the dr suggusted putting a little cereal in his bottle but it gave him bad dirty diapers so we stopped that. he sleeps great during the day but once 8:30 comes around he gets fussy and just wants to be held. i can usually keep him in his bassinet until about 2 or 3 in the morning but after that he just gets to fussy and it wakes him up even more so i take him back to bed with me and he usually sleeps till about 5:30 or 6 which is great for me. i know someone said just sleep when the baby sleeps but that just isn't possible, i have 2 other kids and house to care for. i'm hoping my baby sleeps at least 4 hours at a time soon. my girls were sleeping from 11-6:30 at 6 weeks, i don't think noah will make that but hopefully soon he will. good luck!
    jtock

Answer by jtock at 3:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2009