flat nipples

i have flat nipples and my baby can not really latch on like she wants to and it really drives us both mad and is frustrating.. There is milk in both my breast but i choose not to use the pump because of traditional reasons, I want to know if there is anyother way to help with latching on flat nipples? Stimulation??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to use a nipple shield. It helped. I was unable to get rid of it however, needing to always use it. Mine were inverted, though, not just flat.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• When I had my son years ago, they gave me a nipple shield while I was in the hospital, it really helped my son.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Well, since you have a pump, what I would suggest is to pump enough to draw out your nipples, then latch baby on.

Lansiloh also makes a product called Latch Assist. Less than $10, and it accomplishes what the pump would do, only it's very small, and hand held. I used it for the first couple weeks until we established a good nursing relationship and my nipples didn't need to be drawn out anymore.

GL mama! You CAN do this!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• a good nipple shield will help I had to use it with my dd but it was a big reason why I quit before she was 6 months old... so get one and use it to start but try using your fingers to just pull it out and an ice cube!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I used a shield for 6 weeks until my son was old enough and had a strong enough suck to draw out my nipple on his own. I hated the shield though and will never use one again.
    I would try first making sure you are making your breast easy to latch on to... squeeze your breast so that it looks like your baby is taking a bite of a big sandwhich so they can latch on well.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2009