3 1/2 yr old waking up in middle of night

Suddenly my 3 1/2 yr old has been waking up in the middle of the night and wanting his light kept on in his room. He will sit up for 20 minutes just flipping through books. We had a baby gate in front of his door b/c we didn't want him coming out and falling down steps in middle of night. Now he is climbing over the gate. He's never done these things and always has been an excellent sleeper. In bed at 7:30-8pm up at 6:30am with no interruptions. Is this just a new stage or something I can expect to happen for awhile. I do know fear of thunderstorms has just started with him. Any suggestions moms?

hottie1060

Asked by hottie1060 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe a nightlight in his room?
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• All kids are different. Can't say for sure if its a phase or what. Consider talking to him before bedtime to see why he's getting up. Perhaps he's scared of his dreams. My son was like that and whined about sleeping b/c he would get nightmares.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 9:46 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My daughter just went through this same thing. We put a baby gate up but she didn't climb over it. My friend had to put two up (one on top of another) when her girls went through it. This phase lasted about a month with my daughter.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• A night light and some white noise or music.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• may be having night terrors but I cant tell you how to fix it since my 4 year old has had them for at least 2 years
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 12:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• just give your child a night light that they will feel safe with.
    jsamaniego19

Answer by jsamaniego19 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2009