Do you know someone who receives Public Assistance and you think that they shouldn't receive it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes! Her husband recently had an opportunity to get a better job, making much more money, therefore eliminating their need for personal assistance. Yet...he would have had to stop smoking marijuana to get the job, so he opted not to!!! She told me this herself. They've been receiving unbelievable amounts of welfare,food stamps, and childcare for at least the 3 and 1/2 years I've known her. She has food stamps, yet goes out to lunch all the time and spends at least $10 on her own lunch at restaurants! She could work more hours at work, they'd be willing to give them to her, BUT if she does, then she won't get her welfare check. It honestly makes me sick, and people like this give PA a bad name. There are people out there who actually deserve and need it, and people like this family are the ones getting it. I'm personally sick of paying for people like this!!!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• yes my brother and his family. they are on all kinds of assistant no jobs or trying to get jobs and they have a child they never tend to she always smells of pee and they are trying for another baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• my sister in law and her husband were making 1,000+ weekly and she lied saying he wasn't living there so they could get food benefits. then she threw a fit because she didn't get as much in benefits that she felt they should get. she has since went into the military. but i can guarantee he is still abusing the system in the state he now lives in. she would be if not for the military.
    loram111

Answer by loram111 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• YES...my SIL and brother...they have lived off the state for the last 7 yrs occassionally picking up a job here or there...yet when my hubby lost his job and we were hurtin...we got turned down. The system needs some serious revamping!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My husband's ex is claiming their son on her PA since she doesn't work, hasn't in years even when everywhere in town was hiring. Because of that, we can't qualify even though my hours were drastically cut and my husband's company did away with their commission/bonus program. Technically, we could get his son pulled off of her case since he is with us more than 75% of the time, but she throws these terrible guilt trips. She doesn't claim her boyfriend on her case, but he eats all of that same food. And they have a big family get together once a week where his entire family and hers come. She has told us multiple times that her food stamps are all the money that they have for groceries. I am pretty sure that is fraud, right? You are only supposed to feed the people on your case with your food stamps?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yes, she is lazy and won't look for a job. She even talked her doctor into signing a waiver that said she was mentally unable to work due to grieving the death of her mother, that happened 3 years. ago. She just doesn't want to work. She has even tried to get pregnant again so she can stay on benefits longer and with no restrictions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• it doesn't matter what we think. If they are eligible then they can have it

Answer by admckenzie at 11:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• YES!! I know of 2 people who are on PA. The 1st is my Aunt's daughter- she is 24 not married and refuses to work! she gets housing, welfare and seems to work the system to her advantage! AND Mommy also supports her and pays her way! Funny she won't work but can afford to have her fingernails done EVERY week and has plenty of money to hang out in the bar and buy cigarettes with!
    The 2nd is my hubbys niece and piece of trash husband. He won't look for a job he sits home all day. they have 2 kids-- at the time they had 1- when the 1st was done with the FREE formula he SOLD the unused cans they had and made a profit! I was pissed! I had bought their brat a can and never got paid back for it. I have 3 kids and have had to pay for my formula- -but this jerk gets his free and SELLS it and makes money on it! That is NOT right!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Why is it that we don't want the government butting into our personal business, yet it's ok to scrutinize and criticize those around us?

To answer your question, I don't know of anyone on public assistance, and if I did, I wouldn't worry myself about whether or not they should receive it. If they qualify, then they qualify. If they don't, then sooner or later they will be discovered.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:46 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I only know 1 person on PA and shes a good friend of mine. She deserves it just as much or more than anyone else. They have always worked and done well for themselves. He is not out of work, but the work has slowed down. He works in the service dept at a Toyota dealership so business is slow. Shes never abused anything ever given to her and they are wonderful people. Other than that, I dont know anyone else on PA.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2009