Ask A Jehovah's Witness...

There was a post last night about JWs. And after reading many of the post I am very confused by where some of you got your ideas about what they believe. So, here is my "question"...

If you could ask a JW anything and get a straight answer without the fear of having them at your door every day, what would you ask??

**Beware, You may get your answers...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why are you people so annoying knocking on my door all the freakin time?

Yep that's what I would ask. Tell them they are weirdos and NO I DO NOT want to join your church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Sabrina, my best friend in school,and we are still close is a JW. When she was baptized, I was the only friend she invited to go see it. Which was an honor for me. To the above post, as I understand it,the reason they knock on doors is called,and Sabrina,if I'm wrong, correct me is called "pioneering." And, is something they do to get them ready for baptism into the church. And, to the above answer, I am never nasty to them when they come to my door. They have a right to their beliefs just as anyone else does.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• They knock on your door because they are following the bibles command to minister. It may be annoying but I don't think it's any one's place to tell someone not to listen to the word of their God. Besides, I know all the local ones, they come in and see the kids and don't bother me about religion, since my mom, gram and aunts are all JW... I guess they figure I know everything they will say.

However if you call the Kingdom Hall or send them a letter that says you are not interested and want a notation on their "territory card" that you do NOT want anyone knocking at your door for any reason... They will mark your address off and you will only get one every 5 years or so. And they only do that in case you have moved. Just make sure you actually use the words Territory card in your request.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:55 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• i am an x JW and i stopped when i was about 20. i am 31 now and from my experiences i learned or felt it was a cult. they lie more than anyone i can think of and are crooked! they appear to be perfect followeres to jesus etc... but it is not true! they like to come around the holidays especially halloween time and try to pull you away from celebrating anything. and there is so much more to this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Do they believe the non-JW's perish upon death or do they get to live on the "Utopian Earth" I've heard about too? Also, how do you become one of the 144,000 that go to Heaven? Luck of the draw, or what?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Why don't they celebrate Birthdays or Holidays?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• stvmen88 ~ That's awesome that you got to be at her baptism. In the life of a JW that's a HUGE step. However I do want to correct one small point. All JW's Baptised of not go door to door, it's called ministry work. Pioneering is something special. That's when they vow to put in full time hours (40+ hours a week) in to the ministry work and is not a requirement but is highly recommended. And is seen as very honorable, it's not easy to get out there and knock on doors 40 hours a week...

Other pioneers go "where the need is great." and put in their hours. My grandmother just did a tour in the Appalachia Mountains. They went to do volunteer work and pioneer through works as well as words...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Again, correct me if I am wrong, but the whole lack of celebration of holidays and birthdays is an effort to remind themselves that they are smaller than other things in the world. Kind of a type of false idolatry. My husband is good friends with a JW that does do pioneering. He comes here once a week and has a Bible reading with my husband. Also, our landlord is JW. My husband's friend felt really bad when he knew who owned our place, as he felt like the landlord should be the one ministering here. However, our landlord decided that he didn't want to mix those two parts of his world, so he didn't. I also was great friends with a guy in high school that was JW. He and I are still friends. Having this many people I feel comfortable with near me, and knowing that I could ask you Sabrina, I don't really have many unanswered questions.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Anon 9:57 - I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe you should have been paying more attention. There are valid reasons they do not celebrate holidays. And I'm not sure what "lies" you feel they are spreading but as with any religion you do not have to agree, but bashing isn't nice either... And not at all what this post is about.

Anon 9:58 -JWs believe that if you die before the Great Tribulation then no matter if you are JW or not, will be resurrected in to the Paradise for 1000 years. At the end of that time Satan will be let loss a second time and everyone will have the choice to follow him or God. All that follow Satan will be destroyed. If you are killed in the Great Tribulation you are being killed BY GOD, and therefore have already been judged. As for the 144,000, God chooses those that will become a part of them, not any other. The bible says they are pure of spirit, but that not deed will get you there.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Thanks Sabrina, I knew I hadn't gotten it all right. It's been many years, and my poor ole brain doesn't remember like it used to. Thanks for correcting that.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2009