How do you teach a child to defend themself?

smilingontime

Asked by smilingontime at 11:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When my girls are in a situation....(and I am there with them)
    I keep my mouth shut...

If I feel that they are not defending themselves..I will go up to them and the situation..
    and say to them...now tell so and so to stop it, or that was mine give it back..

I want them to learn to defend themselves when I am not present...

So when I am there, I help them to choose their words and stand up for themselves..

I hope that they carry over what we do together when I am not there with them.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I teach them to talk to the person first by saying stop that hurts then telling a trusted adult then if that adult isnt effective then my kid has a right to physicaly hit and defend their self.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I don't know if your kid has a sibling. My daughter is almost 4 & some of the kids in preschool make fun of her & hit her. She's so sensitive & just cries about it. So we are using her 2 year old brother to help her learn to defend herself. Lol. Believe me he dosen't mind he think's it's so fun. He will hit her or push her & I'll tell her, tell him to stop she does & of course he dosen't stop he will do it again. So I'll tell her push him or hit him. I think kids have to learn to defend themselves. I don't know if this is the best way, but my daughter is the biggest cry baby ever & the kids make fun of her enough for that. I guess I'm just trying to get her to stand up for herself. It kinda teaches both to defend themselves too. My son used to just cry when kids took his toy too but now he get's it back by just grabbing it or taking it back.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 12:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• If you are talking about physical defense, put them in karate. My son is 5 and in karate so far he has learned how to escape from front choke, back choke, head lock and full nelson. He knows how to throw a proper punch and kick.

Now mental defense is something different. If your child is being teased or picked on, that can be harder to defend against. My approach is to tease and pick on my kids as much as possible at home, so they get used to letting things roll off their backs. Like when they ask for a hug I'll say something like "No, you're ugly and you smell funny." They brush it off, and of course I always give them the hug anyways. If your child hears nothing but praise all the time, they don't know how to react when someone says something mean. If they are used to ignoring rude or negative comments, than they are less likely to get upset if another kid says something mean to them.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2009