In your experience, do many people invite their child's class to birthday parties?

Before having kids I was under the impression that it was pretty standard for parents to invite their child's classes to their birthday parties. My daughter just finished her 2nd year of preschool, and we've gotten very few invites for birthday parties for classmate. I'm disappointed and was hoping for more. Is it generally uncommon to invite the class for a birthday party?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughters school requires that if anyone gets an invite...everyone has to get one...I'm not one for birthday parties for kids I dont know...so we usually dont go....There will be plenty of invites in the future-
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 12:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I am not having 20 kids at a birthday party. We invite 5 or 6 of my son's friends. We send the invites to school and the teacher puts them in the kids adgendas to go home, and we didn't invite preschool friends to b'day parties. We only started inviting friends once they were in kindergarten or grade 1.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I think that inviting the entire class is honestly a bit excessive...besides that very few actually show up. (I am guilty of not taking my daughter unless it is one of her good friends) I think that birthday parties with just a few close friends and family is much more meaningful and I usually just have them pick one or two friends from class and we call them or send them an invite so no feelings are hurt when everyone is not invited. I agree, there will be plenty of invites in the future, for now I just go to the few that matter most to her.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 1:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My oldest never wanted to invite his classmates to birthday parties. He only invited 3 to his graduation party.

My youngest on the other hand wanted all his classmates to be invited including teachers and staff. He told me today he might have underestimated the amount of classmates coming to his graduation party. He has ALWAYS been the social butterfly.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 1:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Depends on the family I guess. But my son got tons of invites. The parents give them to the entire class.
    Anonymous

• Not anymore. Don't send the invitations to school for your child to deliver.
    Anonymous

• In all honesty, I find the parents who invite the entire class to be 'Showy", and have the need to feel like they need to prove something to everyone.. Be it "Look how much money we can spend on a party, or My kid DOES have friends!! It's kind of pathetic, if you ask me.
    I let my kids invite whomever they want to.. they invite their friends, the ones they want to spend the time with.. Usually, if the kid no one likes is an obligatory invite, then someone ends up upset or crying.
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 3:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• oh- and no, I do not send the invites to school.. That is tacky, and goes against proper etiquette. I mail them to the kids..
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 3:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• in my sons school, if you want to hand invites to students at school you have to invite the whole class. if you don't want to invite the whole class, they have to be mailed to that individual student.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2009