My Ankles look like my Calves!!!

Okay, so I'm 36wks preggo today.... and my ankles are as big as my calves... my feet are huge and my toes look like little sausages. It hurts to stand.... it's horrible to walk.... any suggestions on getting the swelling to go down? I have them propped up right now. (Which isn't something I get to do a lot since I have a 21mo old to care for... but she's at her daddy's this weekend so now I have a chance to relax). I've been tested for toximia and preeclamsia because of the swelling, but the bloodwork was normal... I'm just retaining loads of water!!! HELP!!! I AM SO UNCOMFORTABLE!!! At least I shouldn't have much longer to suffer with it though!!! 4wks and counting....

kayla_trinity

Asked by kayla_trinity at 1:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm having that same problem here! The only things I've found that help are propping your feet up above your heart (as the PP suggested) and drinking LOTS of water. The water will help keep you from retaining so much water, as odd as that sounds. Also avoid salty foods like the plague! If you have someone to massage your feet and calves then I would suggest that as well, bc it will increase blood flow and of course feel awesome :) Good luck hon .. only a few more weeks to go!!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Keep your feet elevated over your heart. That should help the swelling.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• everynite b4 you go to sleep,sit on the floor with your back to a chair or ur bed for support,then take like 3 or 4 pillows and put them under ur feet.sit there for a while,but in the morning it wont be swollen,thats what I do.I don't use pillows though I use a conceiving pillow.It has arches in it to elevate my feet
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• ooo Cankles!
    Anonymous

• Other than the elevating try to drink more water. If your body doesn't think you are consuming enough it will retain more. I tripled my water intake part way through my pregnancy and it drastically cut down the retention.
    R_Kay

Answer by R_Kay at 2:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2009