how do dinosaurs tie in with chistianity?

most christians agree about the existence of dinosaurs, but i was wondering what they thought about that. dinosaurs aren't mentioned in the bible.. this is one thing that i just couldn't make sense of. sorry if this is a stupid question

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The majority of creation is not mentioned in the Bible. God created "every living thing" but it would be a LARGE book that could hold the name of every single thing that has ever been a part of our world. Doesn't mean they don't exist (or had at one time existed).
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 7:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Not a stupid question. I think it's a great question. I have no answer. My grandmother just told me to accept the Bible on faith and not worry about extraneous things like that but I have often wondered what others think. I'm glad you asked it. Let's see what other learned women have to say about it.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• not a stupid question.. dinosaurs are mentioned in the bible. one of the names is leviathan and i'd have to look at the other names. But several scriptures actually speak of them. The word dinosaur was used much later after the bible was written.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Leviathan refers to a giant SEA CREATURE, not a land animal.

Job 41:1 says, "Can you pull in the leviathan with a fishhook" (NIV). This whole chapter describes this terrible sea creature probably a giant crocodile. It is said to have a tongue (verse 1), a nose and jaw (v.2), limbs (v.12), mouth ringed with fearsome teeth (v.14), and a back tightly fitted with scales (v.15). It describes smoke coming from his nostrils.

Psalm 104:26 says, "There go the ships: there is leviathan, whom thou hast made to play therein" (KJV). Clearly the habitat of leviathan in this context is the sea.

Isaiah 27:1 says, "In that day of the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea"

And etc...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Behemoth in contrast to the leviathan is a giant land animal, not a sea creature. The description in Job 40:21-23 seems to allude to the area around Lake Huleh which was filled with buffalo. His tail is like a cedar branch that can easily bend or sway. This does not mean his tail was as long as or as big as a huge cedar tree for verses 21-23 say, "Under the lotus plants he lies, hidden among the reeds in the marsh. The lotus conceal him in their shadow" (NIV). Reeds and lotus can not hide a huge dinosaur.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• actually in genisis i am not sure exactly where. but i just read it the other day it says that giant creatures once roamed the earth
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 2:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• besides the earth was created in 7 day and in isiaiah its say that a 1000 years is but a day and a day is a 1000 years to god. so buy that alone god could have created dinosaurs long before man because it is GOD and he is all powerful
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 2:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Ginosaus lived with man Jessie. Job 40 and 41
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I am Christian.

I believe that God created dinosaurs. I believe that God created DNA and cytoplasms too, and those aren't written in the Bible.

Science and religion are not mutually exclusive.

The Bible is a fairly scientific work, in terms of early science/classical science. Early scientific forms include astronomy, architecture (and the mathematics involved), early medicine, and agriculture. These forms are mentioned in the Bible time and time again.

I believe that God created science and that science supports His existence.

I believe that God created evolution and that this evolution is described in Genesis.

The heavens and the earth--the Big Bang. "Let there be light"--as particles settle and the atmosphere becomes less clouded, rays of light reached the earth.

Dividing of the waters--the early atmosphere of earth settled according to levels of density, creating a definition between water a
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• (cont)

Earth, sea, and plants are created--movement of the earth and changes in the atmosphere allow water to settle in large bodies, separating oceans from land. Soil becomes fertile, and atmosphere becomes clear enough for sunlight to nourish plant growth.

Creation of night and day--planet Earth has a constant rotation (axis), defined atmosphere allows visible light and darkness

Creation of birds and sea creatures--birds and water-dwelling animals were among the first forms of life. Included in this category are dinosaurs, as the first dinosaurs lived in the ocean. Science has also linked dinosaurs to birds due to similarities in carriage and bone structure.

Living creatures on land, including humans--animals evolve into land-based creatures. Humans appear.

That is how I understand it. Science supports religion, because God created science. They are not mutually exclusive.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2009