Recovery from a C-section

So I had my beautiful baby girl on Sunday..June 28th and was wondering how much longer im gonna be in enough pain to where I need to take Vicodine? I don't remember how long it took last time and Im killing myself here by having to ask my hubby every 5 sec to do something for me. How much longer should it be till I can function without meds??

LilMzMa

Asked by LilMzMa at 1:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I took the painkillers until I had no more... and then I cried! But what helped me was I had this soft stretchy tube of fabric that I wore over my icnision (almost like A GIRDLE) it kept things from moving and shaking so much with every movement and was a lifesaver. I got it from a friend so I am not entirely sure where you can buy one but you could easily make one just using some strong stretchy fabric or even by wearing those panties that are like super control top and go up to your arm pits to keep stuff in place. We don't make a big deal out of c-sections but the reaLITY IS IT IS MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY and it is going to hurt just the same as if you had your apendix removed etc. Let your husband take care of you so when the time comes that you have to take care of the baby by yourself you are strong and healthy and can do so. I really struggled with my recovery because I refused to ask for help. Just rest up
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I never seemed to need the pain meds after 2 wks.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I think I was on painkillers for at least a week or 2 after both of my c sections. It took me about 2 weeks before I was really up and moving around a lot and probably a month until I was going places by myself and home alone with the kids.
    meegan26

Answer by meegan26 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Was your c-section an emergency one? Mine was not emergency, so they were able to do the horizontal cut, which is much easier on you. I only took Tylenol 3 for a few days and then I was fine. Sorry you are having a hard time with it. My aunt had the vertical cut and she was in pain for a while.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I dont know that I have enough pain meds to make it 2 weeks....gulp
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 1:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• No, mine was planned and it was a horizontal cut, however it was over my last c section (witch was horzon too) so they had to cut though scar tissue
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 1:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I stopped taking the pain meds after 2 weeks. I had a horizontal bikini cut. I was taking percocets and motrins and sometimes id take the percocets every 3 hours because i was in a lot of pain from the C section. My C section wasnt planned I went in for a induction and ended up with a C section because my baby had his hand on his head. good luck mommas and congrats on your new baby.
    nessy1980

Answer by nessy1980 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Congrats...that was my oldest daughter's 9th birthday. So 9 years ago I had my first c-section. I've had 4 of them and each was different. What I ended up doing was weening myself off the drugs after the first week by only taking them right before bed. A lot of time the pain ends up being in your mind and you think you need the pain killers when you really can function without them.
    It was rough for a couple of days but then it became clear that I really didn't need anything except Advil. I ended up taking the pills every few hours for the first 4 or 5 days, then once or twice a day for a couple of days and then the second week I only took them before bed so I could sleep. Each time I actually saved 1 or 2 just in case and never took them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I didn't take the big, bad painkillers lol. Just Tylenol. And Tylenol PM at bedtime.
    kadens_momma_15

Answer by kadens_momma_15 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Its really up to you and your pain levels.

I was off meds, after my first, on the second day. I just didnt need them. After my second and third it was a week.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2009