did/do you reshearch thing for/about your children?

like the foods you feed them, watching cartoons, delayed speech. potty training. or anything else?

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, but then I'm a bit of an information junkie and I read a LOT. (Boy, is that an understatement! LOL) It's important to me to research all sides of an issues so that I can make an informed decision.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• teacherAbsolutely! I'm always reading about raising children and my kids are 12 and 22 so I've been at this a long time. I just started reading The Secret Life of Boys and one of my fav magazines is psychology today because I am interested in their emotional health as well.

writeon

Answer by writeon at 1:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yes I did study nutrition so that I could feed my children well. I wanted to make sure they had a balanced and healthy diet. I figured that they were small, and that what they ate had more impact on them then what a much larger adult eats. And that they were doing so much developing- bones, brain, organs, etc. that they needed to eat as healthily as possible, and that it was my job to do all I could to make this happen. I also let them watch a minimum of TV, restricted to a few educational shows, that I watched with them. For potty training, I waited until they were dry at night, and then daytime training went very quickly. No problem with delayed speech.

Answer by Bmat at 1:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I honestly think that too much research can really hurt your parenting, and sanity. You can make yourself insane worrying, or you can live your life. I delayed introducing strawberries (father was allergic) and peanut butter until age three. Otherwise, she eats what we eat, and I'm comfortable with that. I know a lot about speech and other developmental delays because my child has hypotonia which has led to global delays. I do not feel the need to research about medications and vaccines, because my father is a doctor and I follow his advice.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Not really, closest thing I did was browse through "What to expect the 1st year" But that's it. I had a very good upbringing and my kids have always had wonderful Peditricians, so I have never felt the need to research things like behavior or TV watching or anything like that
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Also, when I was pregnant and when my LO was a baby, I read lots and lots of books. I've given up on all of those "What to Expect During the Toddler Years" books because my daughter is so delayed that it stresses me out. I do a much better just accepting where we are at if I am not reading these books.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• im not saying i research everything... i trust our pedi, and vaccinate, i read the info on them but not research it all. i also dont and never will give my children artificial sweeteners.. to me there are no benefits, unless the child is diabetic and mine are not.. to me there are too many risks associates with them, and they have never been tested on children...

i read all about carseat safety, and such.. yet i let mi 3 year old have time to elarn to talk on his own.. now at 3 he is entering into speech therapy.. i think that too much intervention is just as harmful to a child as none at all..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• yep.... I research all sorts of things from food, to random toys. IDK... we have so much infromation available just at the tips of our fingers, its hard not to.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yes, I do but I try not to go overboard because for one you can get mixed reviews and opinions...two, it can make you paranoid. I dont want to be either one of those, so I limit what I research. Not potty training or anything like that because Im a fourth time mom. I know how to potty train, but I do occasionally research medical issues like acne, or rashes. There again, sometimes you can get TOO much info and it causes paranoia. My daughter had discharge from both her nipples several months ago. She is right in the middle of the puberty process and I thought it was abnormal, so I tried to find info just to see and I found nothing on it. I ended up taking her in, but it would have helped to have even just a little bit of information. Nurse said she was fine, but to watch for a few things. It was a hormonal thing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yes, everything and anything I think of!
    Gwynyth

Answer by Gwynyth at 2:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2009