I don't want my puppy anymore, seriously!

So we got a puppy a few days ago and he's like the cutest little dog but I now feel like we made a mistake by getting him. He is great with the housebreaking and so cute but he bites like crazy and my dd spend the last few days on the couch because she's already afraid of him. I now feel that it is unfair to my dd because she doesn't get the chance to play when the puppy is out of the crate because he'll bite her and he bites really hard, so she refuses to get off the couch when he's out but understandably whines that she can't play,but I can't keep the puppy in the crate all day..Also I feel like i am doing nothing but taking care of the puppy which I don't like because it makes me feel like I am neglecting my dd. I just feel like I want to get rid of him but dh wants to keep him because he thinks that after a little while everything will fall in place and turns out great.. so did anyone feel like that after getting a pup?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Pets

• I am almost 50 and so over animals, I prefer my sanity,l.o.l.
    Anonymous

• yes...a puppy is like another baby. lots of time, effort, and patience involved. what kind of puppy is it? did you do any research on the breed before you got it? how old is dd?
    Anonymous

• The puppy is doing puppy play. This is the way puppies play among themselves. It is part of learning how to establish status in their group. Your puppy is playfully asserting that he wants to be the leader over your daughter, which of course can't be allowed. Her safety has to come first. Whenever the puppy is around her and goes to bite, try making a pinching action onto the puppy's side to mimic what another dog would do, saying No at the same time. And that's all I have- just thoughts I've collected over the years, for what they're worth. Talk with a dog trainer, or see if where you got the puppy will take him back. It is sad when dogs are put into the pound.

Answer by Bmat at 1:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• did you adopt or buy?
    if adopt you can return im to the adoption place and they will be sure to find him a good home
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yep...I have a Shih Tzu and love her to death. But I distinctly remember once... crying, at the kitchen sink, giving her a bath. Shortly after I bought her, she pooped in her cage, got it all over herself, including deep into her pads, and I found it before work one morning. LOL! She was terribly hard to take care of, and would bite (playfully) anytime you tried to pet her. She chewed things up, peed on the carpet, and whined if she was put into a cage. However...I stuck through and I'm SO glad. It does get better!!! There were so many times I thought of getting rid of her, but then her adorable little face would stop me, and I kept thinking "I'm the only mom she has", lol. It's up to you, but everyone goes through it with puppies and it will get better. Hang in there! :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• How old is dd? How old is dog, what kind? Little little ones under 5 or 6 mixed with a first time dog or puppy, cat or kitten means hardships for the animal.

I'd give it a while longer and get a clean empty spray bottle from the floral section of a supermarket - they're tall.

Put room temperature water in it - tepid, not warm or hot not cool or cold... practice spraying it in sink to get wide gentle spray. Whn puppy does something bad bad not just puppyhood - bites are bad puppies teeth are sharp suckers!!!! jumping is bad bad... spray their shoulder preferably as they go in for the bite or jump when you see them near the person they'll 99 percent then bite or jump on.
    That spray lets dog know it wrong say FIRMLY w/ "NO dog's name!" an spray a couple of times each time it's about to happen until dog moves away an separately spray immediately when dog does it to enforce firmly NO dog's name! If u can't do tht, give bk.
    Anonymous

• ummm I'd think the puppy being an animal even though domesticated somewhat not being a wild animal, that its' brain would perceive a pinch as another animal to retaliate against and bite some where on a any one's body who's close by. I'd try the water bottle spray instead jmo
    Anonymous

• Anon makes sense. Maybe the water would be the better choice. The pinch motion thing was something I saw on a dog training program that I used to watch, but go with someone else who knows what they are talking about from first hand experience. I have heard of the water spray, too, and more often. Thanks anon for the comment. :)

Answer by Bmat at 1:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• OP here.. The puppy is only 6 weeks old, we bought him from the store.. he is a Shiba Inu. My dd is 2 and therefore doesn't really understand that the puppy is trying to play and not trying to hurt her. We can not return the puppy to the store I will also not give him to the pound, if we would get rid of him I would try and find another home for him... But I don't know on one side I want to keep him but on the other side I don't.. I guess I just wanted to find out if those feelings are normal lol
    Anonymous

• I know how you feel. I had a Border Collie who was deaf for about a year. When he was biting and chewing I had to stomp my feet really hard so that the vibrations would startle him. People thought I was insane. I thought I was insane!
    Just remember that the biting is a phase. Hold the puppy by the face and make eye contact and very firmly say "NO" when he does something that he shouldn't. Making eye contact will let him know that you are the dominant one in the relationship. Do you have a couple of toys or old sheets or something that could be his designated chewing stuff? That way you can teach him that he has specific things he is allowed to bite and everything else is off limits.

Puppies are like kids. I wish you luck!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 2:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2009