Would you support your teen dropping out of school?

When I say "support" I mean, standing behind them, still providing for them even though they refused?
One thing I am a strong believer in is finishing high at the least. College is up to them. I would encourage my kids to finish, however if they refused, I would not support them. They would be free to move out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dropping out of high school is NOT an option. No way , no how. I don't care which celebrity dropped out of school, NO kid of mine is dropping out. An education is way too important to me and not something to take for granted.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• If they dropped out of school they would need to get a job immediately. A full time job, and support themselves.

Answer by Bmat at 1:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Nope. My 21yo dropped out the day after he turned 18 but he didn't live with us at the time (he moved out the day he turned 18). He wanted to be a grown up. He now has his GED & is now in college and he realized that quitting school (he was a good student, he just happened to have a gf who had a son from a previous relationship and her mom talked him in to quitting school to get a job to provide for her daughter and for her whole family) was not a smart idea. We did not give him money and he lost his car (pink slip is ours until they graduate from high school and the stipulation is that they have to live with us until they graduate AND graduate) the day he moved out. Graduating from high school is a must in this house and attending college is strongly supported (1 has, 1 is and 2 will).

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Mine aren't at that age but I already decided that if my kids wanted to drop out of school I would tell them they have to continue school until they are at the age of being able to get a job. Then if they want to drop out they will have to work full time & pay their own way. And when your 18 you can go ahead & move on out & see what the real world is like. Also, I have a savings fund for both of them...when they graduate high school they will get the money to either go to college or start their live in other way's if they wish....if they don't graduate high school they won't be getting that money. I had a crazy childhood & started working @ 15 and moved out of my parents house @ 17. I've always taken care of myself...I don't expect any less of my children. I will not be one of them parents that pay their way for their kids their entire lives.
    Anonymous

• NOWAY! EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT!!!!MUCH MORE SO THAN $$

Answer by older at 5:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• First if your child is even hinting at this find out the laws in your area. You maybe required by law to support them till they are 21 covering all their bills unless they are imancipated.

Second what is their reason you honestly need t find out. Is it lazyiness, harrassment, is there a baby in the picture? The real reason needs to be considered.

If possible see if there is another option home school, GED, transfer to another school or even trade school.

Would I want to support my child for dropping out NO,.
    But I have dealt with my daughter becomming preg. at the beginning of her senior year. Our solution was early graduation which she had to work very hard for and because she could not work due to her condition. She was made to do much more around our home giving her even more skills for the real world. by the time my grandaughter was 9 months old she was out on her own.
    Anonymous

• As a parent I would have to say supporting a decision your child makes is important, however...open the dialogue to alternatives...it is very hard out there employment wise, even in a thriving economy...GED's are not looked at well...see if a charter school is an option...the teen can progress at their pace, sometimes a conventional high school has a set goal and it is hard for unique thinking youth to excell, in a charter it is the responsibilty of the child to progress...this does well for the child who gets bored easily, usually the reason is repetition of skills they have mastered! i have sen and employed many who did not do well in conventional schools but graduate quickly and some in honors programs with college scholarships through charte or magnet programs...they also have a great boost to self esteem
    pammyjo2

Answer by pammyjo2 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Hell hell no! If my son EVER told me he was dropping out of high school, he would find his shit on the doorstep. And by shit I mean anything that he bought himself...anything I paid for he would not get. High school is NOT that hard. If graduates high school and decides to pass on college that is one thing...you can still find several jobs with only a high school diploma, but without one? You are basically limited to flipping burgers or bagging groceries the rest of your life. If he decided to go that route than you bet your ass he'd start off that fabulous life right away. I wouldn't give him a dime, or a place to sleep. We'll see how long he'd like that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yes I would support, In fact my mom fully supported my decision to drop out in 9th grade, she homes chooled me, and then I studied and got my G.E.D, exact same thing as a high school diploma I don't care what anyone says.... Why do people act as if you'll amount to nothing if you drop out? some of the most famous people have dropped out of school here's some just to name a few,...

-Quentin Tarantino

-Dave Thomas (Wendy's founder)

Johnny Depp

-Bill Gates

-Benjamin Franklin

-Nicholas Cage

-Jim Carrey

-John Travolta

and the list goes on, school doesn't guarentee you a successful life, It's sad that society thinks it does when it really doesn't, Like I said I would fully support my son, but I won't even have to worry about that because I won't be sending him to school. If you haven't gotten it by now, I don't believe in public schooling.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• No finishing school is important i mean its important that they finish, I truly believe thats its not till after high school do you find your own, He can go to college find friends that are more on his wave length and really click just get through high school and take it from there. Sometimes he just needs to get awa from old habbit to find what he really wants and find his full capability.
    tinyone917

Answer by tinyone917 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2009