Do you think its appropriate for children to watch horror films? Do your kids watch these types of movies?

Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, I think it is inappropriate. There is enough real horror in the world without adding in made up horror. Someday our kids will have to worry about all of the bad adults things in the world. Why not just let kids be kids? There's enough real violence. Why allow children to view violence for entertainment?

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 7:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Depends on the age and the child.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• When I mean child I am speaking of about 10 and under. Not teens or young adults.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the child and how graphic the movie is. Some kids can handle it, some can't. Some get nightmares, some don't. Personally...I've ALWAYS loved horror movies. I mean, absolutely LOVED them, even from the time I was very little. I've always liked getting scared, and it's never had a bad effect on me. I watched many Stephen King movies with my parents when I was little, and I remember my parents being apprehensive. Some parents would think that's horrible, but once my parents realized that while they thrilled me, they didn't truly scare me, they allowed it. I've always been fascinated by all things supernatural. They did, however, forbid certain movies, like "The Exorcist" until I was in my teens. I'm glad for that, lol! :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Well then it would depend on the horror film. I know some young kids that can watch those and not have any issue with them. I'm not a big horror film fan, so I never really came across that issue
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I can't say. I know for me they gave me terrible nightmares that popped up again and again over the years, and they also made me afraid of the dark. And of putting my foot on the floor because the monster under the bed would surely grab my foot. Or to have the bedroom door ajar since monsters would enter more easily, or to have the bedroom door closed, because I couldn't get out quickly enough if monsters were chasing me. Or that monsters might be looking in the window at night, so I kept the blinds pulled down and was afraid to look out the windows at night.
    * taking a breath * so for me, seeing horror movies was a terrible mistake. I'd be inclined to protect my children from seeing them.

Answer by Bmat at 1:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I did get my kids addicted to Vampire flicks though lol. My son is 15, almost 16, so he can pretty much watch what he wants to. But my daughter is only 10, and she does get scared and get nightmares BUT she will watch Twilight a thousand times over lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• No and No.
    I have always been against early exposure to horror and violence.
    What is the point?
    Children at that age cannot decipher fantasy from reality and it is our responsibility as parents to protect them from images that could potentially traumatize them.
    I'm sure that many will disagree but I personally never saw the point of it.
    My ds is 12 and just starting to be curious about WHY people are even interested in watching bloody murder...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 1:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• No and No. My kids are 14, 11, 7, and 3. I am very sensitive to scary horror flicks and have been all of my life. I guard my childrens spirit just as I do mine and if not more. My oldest seems to be tolerant of crap like that but she has seen it at other peoples home. Not in mine. You spend a few nights up with a child whose having nightmares and you dont know how to help them because they are terrified, then you begin to see this. My children are very sensitive to the spirit of fear and it can easily be encouraged with watching these movies, so I am a hard ass about it. No movies that have any level of fear in them. Action thrillers are okay so as long as theirs not a lot of langauge in them. I dont care for a movie riddled with poor langauge. I mean like every other word is f this and f that. Not for our home. Oh and Twilight isnt a horror film. Not by any means. Its my responsibility to guard my children.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• When my kids were little they couldn't watch any thing scary that I knew scary to be for child or adult. My neighbors kids watched Jarasick Park when they were preschool. That pounding music and scene early on of the guy being pulled in and devoured just toooo much for this mama!!!! My kids did do Halloween from early ages dressed as superheros and things before darkness when age appropriate till late grade school.
    Anonymous