Stuborn Dog what would you do?

I have a 2 year old jack russel, she listens pretty well but she will not come when called. Today her collar broke while on a walk and it took myself and my mother an hour of chasing her to catch her. I am 5months preg and i doubt its real good for me to do this type of thing and get all stressed out. I dont know what to do with my dog. I had her in training classes but she figured out that when she was there she had to listen so she did everything she was told when she was in class but outside of class she would not listen. I told the trainer that and she laughed and told me i had a smart dog, well i already knew that jack's are known to be very smart but that is what makes them difficult. Does anyone have any advice on how to train her because the next step for me is to get a shock collar and try that but i am not sure it will work and they cost like $125.00 I am at the end of my rope! HELP!

Alie1313

Asked by Alie1313 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Pets

• a real easy way to show dominance is to rol the dog over on its back and put your mouth at their throat, yeah I know yechhh but its what another dog would do...you need to become the alpha female , especially since you are expecting...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• you not letting her know you pack leader and therefore doesn't see you as you being dominant over her. i recommend watching dog whisperer on nat geo channel if you have satellite or digital cable. best shows ever.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Ceser Milian (sp?) the Dog Whisperer. He explains that dogs WANT you to be in charge, and how to take charge and let the dog know it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I have tried the "dog whisperer" tricks to try to get her to listen. she listens to everything except come and no matter what i do she wont she wont even do it for treats its like she knows i cant run that fast so she is just going to do what she wants at that point.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I know this doesnt work in ever situation, but sometimes when the dogs at the kennel/doggie daycare I work at dont want to come, we walk away. They tend to get curious and follow us inside.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Jack Russells have enourmous amounts of energy that need to be used and focused. If you don't keep her occupied they get bored and very stubborn. 3 or 4 walks a day aren't enough to keep them busy. They need challenges. Get a book specifically on the training and care of Jack Russells.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• On the animal planet show I think it is called..there is a show called "It's the Dog or Me" there is a wonderful lady who helps people with their dogs. I, myself have watched her and learn ways to get my dog trained. But I also had to learn to be the leader and show-lead them into how to be when I am around. She has also taught me when my dog runs the other way..I turn the opposite direction and make a bunch of noise. I did this the first time....yes I looked like a fool but to my surprise my dog was at my side again.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 5:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Chasing a loose dog doesn't work. The best way to catch a dog is to run away from it.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2009