False sense of entitlement...

Okay, our youth have developed such a false sense of entitlement that it sickens me. There is no sense of right and wrong and respecting one's elders has quickly become a thing of the past. We cannot teach our children to have courage for their own convictions when other parents are teaching that that is the equivalent of intolerance. We also teach our children that if you do not like someone's response it can be deleted and that is not the way that life works. Do you not realize that Freedom of Speech comes with responsibilities? Just b/c you can say something does not mean you should but on the flip side of that coin, that right also means that you are not going to like everything that you hear. If we keep teaching our children to stand for nothing this country will continue to fall for everything. When do we stop this false sense of entitlement?

blakebrm

Asked by blakebrm at 2:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I know exactly what you mean. Kids now a days think they deserve everything handed to them on a silver platter. 1 thing that comes to mind is that MTV show " My Sweet 16." That show is sickning. The amount of money spent on a 16 year olds party is disgusting. My parents didn't spend that much on my wedding. My 16th b-day party was in the club house of the apartments we lived in and my mama made me a cake. Oh and the cars they get. Give me a break. I do not think any 16 year old should get a brand new car. I know my daughter won't. I am raising my 5 year daughter to be polite and to have respect for people. I make her say "yea ma'am and yes sir." She does not get everything she wants. If she wants a big toy she knows to ask for it for Christmas or birthday. We do not just go out and buy her new toys all the time, and I think that has worked to her advantage. She has an awsome imagination. Kids today are very bratty.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 2:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My children do not and will NEVER have a sense of entitlement! I nip that concept in the bud as soon as it begins to creep up--and my children have special needs!!!

I can only take care of and be responsible for my own little corner of the world. THAT is my contribution to society.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Girls it easy to say my child will never do such and such when they are to young to actually behave in such and such way. And to TeriMelisa, do you realize that not all kids with brand new cars have them handed to them? There ARE kids that have jobs and pay for their own car payments. You said your child is 5, you have many years to understand that not all children are handed things at 16.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I don't know. It's scary to think this is what America has come to. It's the parents fault for letting it go this far. Not everyone of course but a good chunk of them. You can say oh not me, but you need to open your eyes if you think it is not way out of control. I see it everyday.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• The kids are like that because alot of the parents are the same way. It's learned behavior.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Carpy I agree with you. But society as a whole has become sissies. If you spank your child you can go to jail, schools can't spank students for fear of being sued by a crazed parent. I remember being spanking at school ( I had it coming ) and being spanked at home (I had it coming then too). I think society needs to go back to our lost morals and values.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I can't say how my kids will turn out, I don't know.

I do know that we start teaching them from the moment they come out to be respectful- a lot of responses are learned by the age of two, so we speak to our newborns like they are adults, capable of understanding every word.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I think a lot of parents are too busy being friends with their kids. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I think it would help as a country to stop spending money we don't have. Personally as well. Too many people live well beyond their means and if you aren't providing your children responsible roll models you can't really complain when they turn out entitled.

I know it sounds mean, but I make my DS pay for the electricity he wastes (I keep the money aside and collect it for his future use), he has chores and helps out around the house. If he wants to earn money for something, he has to ask us what he can do and we will give him things. Providing them with a good work ethic will only enhance their adulthood.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• ^^^sorry, "we will give him things to do to earn money" is how that should have read.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I am a firm believer that the way society is today is because of the parents AND the government. How can you pretty much strip all parents of any disciplinary action and then complain that we have so many unruly teens/young adults? How are parents who are in fear of being imprisoned supposed to teach their children to follow rules because there will be repercussions if we aren't enabled to do so. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that every child needs a good swift kick in the arse at times. My child does get spanked and will continue to do so as long as he needs it. My child also will learn that just because I allow some things at home, not everyone has the same rules and he needs to listen to adults when they correct him. I don't care if I think the people are wrong or right. (Unless they are saying, "Hey little boy I got candy in my van...." ya know.. the creepy stuff) CONT
    Anonymous