To Leash or not to leash?

So, as I was out yesterday I spotted a father (assuming he was the father) toting his son around on one of those kid leashes. On one hand, I understand why parents use these; however, as I actually see it in use, it reminds me of a dog in tow. Do you Moms use these leashes? What do ya'll think of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally, I don't like them and wouldn't use one on my child. My kids know how to stay by me and listen when I say walk not run lol.
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 3:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Every child is different.

Yes, yes, yes... we all teach our children to mind. But really, do all toddlers and preschoolers mind, 100% of the time? Or do they dart away the instant something catches their attention? Do they get bored and wander? Of course they do. They are young children with very little impulse control and a short attention span.
    Parents who use harnesses know THIER child. They know what THEIR child is capable of, they have evaluated the situation and have determined the best way to keep their child safe and happy.

That does not make them bad parents and it does not make the child a dog. It makes them good parents who recognize that thier obidient little angel is still a young child with no self control.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• It only looks like a dog in tow when misused.
    Anonymous

• My husband and I just got back from Florida with our three children ages 6, 4, and 1. We took them to all of the theme parks down there our 1 year old sat in her stroller and was happy most of the time but the time she was out of the stroller she was on a harness. My older two had arm bands that attached to my MIL. Bash if you will but with all of the crazy people in the world I took all of the necessary precautions for my family! I think they are wonderful for busy places ( theme parks, zoo's, malls) but not just for going to the store.
    momofthree28

Answer by momofthree28 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I understand that kids can act up, but if you're child is so bad that you need a leash to keep him in tow, there's something wrong somewhere. Either he needs more discipline, the parent is too lazy to actually handle him like they should, or the kid has a behavioral problem that NEEDS to be discussed with the ped.

With the exceptions of situations like what momofthree. If it's a safety precaution and it's not a thing you use on a daily basis, that's fine.
    AmandaMarie821

Answer by AmandaMarie821 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• "I understand that kids can act up, but if you're child is so bad that you need a leash to keep him in tow, there's something wrong somewhere. Either he needs more discipline, the parent is too lazy to actually handle him like they should, or the kid has a behavioral problem that NEEDS to be discussed with the ped.

With the exceptions of situations like what momofthree. If it's a safety precaution and it's not a thing you use on a daily basis, that's fine."

So on one hand a parent is lazy if they use one, but on the other it's okay to use one.

Pick a side.
    Anonymous

• If you had asked this question last year I would have said "I would never use one" but that was before my DD. It all depends on the kid. my DS would always hold our hand and stay with us, my DD will not! So when we when on vacation this year we used one when we were in congested areas and I was nervous about her safety. I didn't like them and don't think they look good but I like my DD safety better.

deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 8:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I used one on both of my boy's . Don't give a rats @ss what others thought I knew they were safe w/ it on. That's all that matterts I will use them on my twins when the time comes.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• i did. but i had twins who liked to run away from me in two different directions. even when i said no and stop! those leashes saved my sanity many times.
    possummom

Answer by possummom at 10:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I have one for my son. He is 2 and has gotten to the point where sometimes if I want to get something done I have to harness him. Mind you I'm 8 months pregnant and my husband is deployed. I don't always have the luxury of having someone there to chase him for me. My son does listen and usually will come back when I tell him to but that doesn't mean someone else won't snatch him up the second he's around a corner and out of my line of sight. So when I think I might need it, I take his puppy back pack along and evaluate the situation, if it deems necessary I use it. I managed to go to a festival yesterday (WITH MY IN LAWS) and didn't have to use the back pack harness, because my MIL was there to chase him if needed. But if I were on my own at a festival (probably wouldn't happen) but if I were, he'd be harnessed!
    RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 11:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2009