STIGMATA? Has this happened in modern times?

sorry about all the questions. I am reading and it is kind of interesting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Heather Woods is the most recent I can find.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I hope not. It's incredibly scary. :(
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• why do you say that StefanieN84? Have you experienced it?

Anonymous

• Yes there have been modern times. Off hand I can think of Padre Pio and a Catholic mystic named Therese Neumann. It's even been reported in some non-Catholics. I remember a young girl in the 70's was suppose to have expereienced it and I think she was non-Catholic. I'm sure there are other reported experiences of it.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I personally think this phenomenon is psychosematic- all in their heads. Most of the time, the wounds appear on the palms of their hands, which we now know are not true to the crucifixion of that time; the nails were pounded through the wrists. The mind is a powerful thing, capable of creating phantom pregnancies and diseases- as well as wounds.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• "why do you say that StefanieN84? Have you experienced it?"

Lol...have I experienced it? No....but I've read accounts of it. I don't have to have experienced it to think it sounds scary.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yes, there have been many. However today most are kept "hush hush" by the church. The last one that I can think of off the top of my head was in the 60's, it was Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia. As far as I know he only suffered one of the wounds, his hands, but it does still happen!

There was also on in 1999 in Croatia I believe... Father Sudack, I think...

And I'm sure there are others... PM me if you want more, I have a list somewhere... I'm sure there are more recent ones that I can't recall at the moment.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• And yes, it is very scary! If you ever read the account from St. Francis of Assisi they are simply mind numbing! I can't imagine how anyone can see them as a sign of blessing... But they seem to ~ Usually...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• it makes me sad when I see someone talk about how something isn't a blessing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• These who were so BLESS to have been chosen to suffer these stigmas, are Victims souls. They know what God is asking of them, most of them gladly accept them for the sake of souls. God must love them SO much to ask a soul to take on such great suffering for sinners such as myself. They must love God so much to have endure them with such patience & love. We should be thanking those who have accepted God's will for their lives. We as humans can do ANYTHING with the Pure Love of Christ carrying us. Burdens become blessing when you have the love of Christ suffering with you.
    Anonymous