Would you be a bit pist?

My son was given a scooter by his uncle. It needed a few things done to it, and my son is able to fix the things it needed done and paid for the parts he needed. I used this as a learning tool for him.

Well yesterday my father went out and bought my son a brand new scooter. Needless to say, the one he bought was far from cheap. My father said a boy needs a new scooter, not a used one. Mind you my son is able to work on car engines, so he could work on a scooter if need be. I am a bit irritated that my father done this, but I know he meant well. Would you be pist, or my just over reacting?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 3:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That's hard to say. It devalues what your son has done.. your father would have been much better off getting him another gift.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't be pissed, because I think he had good intentions. He probably just thought he was being a good Grandpa. I wouldn't say anything to your dad about it. I would, however, encourage your son to continue working on the one he was fixing.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• you might be over-reacting. he meant well. and now he has TWO scooters!! =)
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Knowing my father, I am sure he had good intentions Stef. My son did state that he would fix the used scooter so that I could go with him to ride around. I think you are right.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• i would be slightly pissed. the old scooter was a great learning tool for your son, teaching him the value of hard work and that you need to work for everything. if i was in your shoes i'd ask my son what he thought of his g-pa doing that. when your son is 16 (if not already) is your dad planning on buying him a brand new car instead of letting him drive the hand me down you're planning on giving him (or even making him save up and buy!) is your dad going to allow him to live in an apt and work his way into a house like most have to do, or is he going to go and build him a brand new house because he 'deserves new things?' i would bring these things up to your dad and tell him that you're hurt that he went behind your back and bought that for him. he has a scooter that would work perfectly for him and that money could have been used better towards his college.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Your father meant well, so thank him and encourage your son to finish fixing the scooter he was given by his uncle and then sell it and make a little profit on it. I think you can still turn it into a learning experience for your son. (Then you might have a private word with your father, asking him to run his ideas for all future "big" gifts past you first.)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• No you are not over reacting...why did it have to take your son's uncle to get a scooter for your son to get your dad to buy one...I know your dad means well but he should have spent that money on something else for your son...I guess your son has two scooters now. He should use them both when one or the other is around so there won't be no hurt feelings...

But I would have been pissed too.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• From what I have heard about Harry Potter, I wouldn't want my son to room with him.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 3:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Sounds like your father tried to one up your son's uncle.
    Anonymous

• I'd room with Harry Potter, I was watching the latest movie the other day and got the hots for him. LOL (I am pregnant a.k.a. hormonal!!)
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2009