• In the Spotlight:

What do you think about making health insurance companies non-profit?

I know a number of them already are but do you think it's feasable?

Do you think it would reduce healthcare costs?

I like it in theory but am not sure how we could apply it or if it would help.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 3:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yes they should be non-profit. i think it would help with the cost. Look at the differnce between banks- heavily into profits and failing fast and credit unions that are non profit and investing wisely
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• NON PROFIT?? Why don't you go to work for free see how long you stay.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I think if they can guarantee everyone insurance at a tseriously reduced cost it would be GREAT. We are paying $140/month JUST for DH and DD. I got bit by my cat last night(he was dieing and freaked out)and now I really should go to the DR to get antibiotics, but, no insurance so who knows what will happen.
    Little_bug

Answer by Little_bug at 3:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Carpy, there are a number of ins companies that are already non-profit. Their employees still get paid.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Little_bug $140 a month for your dh and dd is cheap. When I worked for a health ins co I paid over $600 a month for me, dh and ds.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Non-profit does not mean not paid. Yes I think health care insurance should be non-profit. I think the reform should be all healthcare is government controlled.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Seriously, Little_bug, $140 for two people is incredibly cheap. Our family of 4 pays $450 a month, and we have a 10K deductible. When I was working, my company paid $800+ a month for my family's health care.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Seriously, how do you force for-profit companies to become non-profit? What about the stockholders? Should they just bend over?

Sounds good, but the implementation; not so much.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I think the BEST way to lower health costs is to reduce the number of frivolous lawsuits. If something is a known risk of a procedure, they tell you- why should you be able to sue? Now, if they amputate the wrong leg, that's different.

Also, give companies incentives to lower costs- yes, the good old republican tax break. Incentives for making drugs affordable, and incentives for docs to provide care to the poor and needy. . . You know that half a million dollar education, you can pay it off in cash plus interest, or you can work it off at a HIGHER paid rate for the needy. 1 8 hour shift a week. If you continue, you can get a nice chunk off your taxes.

In other words, encourage charity, not federal control.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Sounds good, but the implementation; not so much.

That's what I thought. Not too sure how we could apply it.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2009