Hi everyone, I am new to Cafe Mom. Shaunna will be a year old in August and she is now drinking from a sippy cup. Her pediatrican said she could begin whole milk after her first birthday, but I am wondering how do I make the switch from formula and breastmilk to whole milk? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ShaunnaMom

Asked by ShaunnaMom at 4:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just give it to her straight and see what she thinks! All my kids drank it with very little problems. I did warm it up for one of my kids since they were used to warm breastmilk and couldn't stand the COLD milk. It was only for a few weeks and then they adjusted! If she really hates it you can mix it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• just give it to her. i don't remember having a hard time transitioning from breastmilk to whole milk. if your baby is already taking the sipicup, she should have no trouble at all. have fun, good luck and happy early 1st bday to your baby.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Stop putting formula or breastmilk in the cup and put milk in it then hand it to her.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I transitioned my son from formula by giving him straight milk during the day. Once we knew that he didn't have a reaction then gave it to him. Its great not having to buy formula anymore.
    allison91103

Answer by allison91103 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I just switched without a problem. I didn't transition, I just did it.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My ped told us to start off with like (lets say she drinks 8oz) give her 6oz formula or breast milk whichever you already give her then 2 oz whole milk. If you give her whole milk from only having formula or breast milk the enzymes in the milk could give her a tummy ache. Try that for a couple days then go half and half then a couple more days do 2oz formula 6 oz milk until you eventually give her all milk. I gave it to my DD that way and it seemed to work great. Also I did still warm it up for her, since they are used to having warm milk/formula. That does make it alot easier on you that she already does drink out of a sippy. Hope this helps!
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• With my twins I did 1/2 BM and 1/2 WM for a few day's then went to all whole milk after a week :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I transitioned slowly, she did not like milk at first. I started with something like 6 oz water and formula powder with 2 oz milk for a day or two then like everyday after that I added more milk (by the oz) and less formula. She still always preffers the milk warm though.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• i had to mix half formula and half whole milk for a couple weeks when my baby turned one. she didnt like the taste of the milk at first and too much of it was making her sick. i started mixing it and it worked perfect. i gradually gave less and less formula until she got used to it.
    kar31

Answer by kar31 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2009