How important is regular a regular sleep schedule?

My family and boyfriend have always told me I am too much of a book parent. The newest, and biggest, argument centers around my daughter's sleep schedule. She goes to bed at 8pm, wakes up between 7-8 am, and takes a 2 hour nap from 11:30-1:30.

I know tonight is the 4th, but I have been lax on her bed time for the last 4 days, because of the arguments with my family. Today, my daughter could barely finish lunch before begging to take her nap.

I don't want her staying up until 10pm when experience has shown she will wake up at 7 and be grumpy all day. Am I doing something wrong?

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 4:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• People tend to want to let sleep and nap schedules slip during the holidays, and that's ok, as long as your child can tolerate it.

Some children thrive on set schedules, and diversions really upset them. Listen to your daughter...she is obviously very thrown off by the sudden change of schedule. My oldest DD can survive without an afternoon nap (she's 3) but my youngest (who's 2) can't. If she doesn't get a nap in the afternoon, me and DB can pretty much count on it being a very hard day. His parents always want to girls to stay up, but I put my foot down: My kids, my rules, and I say they need a nap. Whatever you they had planned can wait until after the kids wake up.

You're her mother, and it doesn't matter what other members of your family think...you know what's best for her, and a child this age needs plenty of sleep.

I say put her back on her schedule, and let it be known its not up for debate. Period.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 5:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• You are the mother you decide whats best for ur daughter all the other parents including ur own will try to tell u how to raise ur child its just instinct for them to give advice but thats all it is is advice i have the same problem w my 3 month old on when to feed him solids and not to hold him too much and to let him cry once in a while or im gonna spoil him and regret it but he is my son and i know whats best for him just be polite and say thanks for the advice but only do what u think is best
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I honestly notice a huge difference wtih my DD when she is on a sleep schedule. and just a schedule for everything really. She is happier, plays better and everything is just better for her. I know people are often quick to judge when you do something that they dont beleive is necessary. But it is your child and you are ultimatley the one who knows what is best for her, what works for her. So just let them know, hey its not about me being right to the book or perfect (or you anyways) its about that this is the schedule we started wtih and this is what works for her. She likes it and it makes her a happier kid. And anyone I have ever talked to say schedules is what you need, stick to a schedule and it will all work out for the better. If something like fireworks or something comes up that there is something that is going to be happening after her bedtime. Maybe try to give her a quick nap like after dinner so she will be ok :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• NO..NO..and No you are right to keep her on her schedule. My twins are a mess if they go off of their sleep schedule.You know what's best for her , don't let any one question that! :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I have four kids and have my kids on a set schedule but today I would hav given her a later nap or tried to geive her two. You dont say how old your daughter is but thi is something fun she would probably really like! I know its hard but they grow so fast! Yo could let off some smaler fireworks while she is awake or something also. I usually have my kid in bed by 8:30 but last night they were up till 11 watching fireworks and they had so much fun. MAybe tomorrow he will take a little longer of a nap/
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 9:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Consistency is vital. ::high 5:: to you Mama.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 1:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009