How many times a night does baby wake to nurse?

And how old are they? My son is 3 months and he wakes up like 3-4 times a night to nurse...my pediatrician said he should be sleeping through the night now..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Goodness.. If thats ture I'm in trouble! lol

My son is weaning this week, so up until the first he was STILL waking up to nurse. He didn't completely wake up, just fussy until he got the boob. He is sixteen months old.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Your pediatrician is a quack! I lost my breastmilk at 3 months, despite my efforts to restore it, but at that time my daughter was still waking at LEAST 3-4 times a night, usually more. After I lost all my milk and we had to switch to formula, she still didn't sleep through the night until 6 months. At 9 months she is starting to wake up a little every night again because she's getting two more teeth.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• No, your pediatrician is mistaken. My nine month old goes to bed at 8:30, right after nursing. She nurses around 1, then back to bed. I wake her at 5 to nurse as I get up,then put her back down, and she sleeps till 7.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yep, your doctor is wrong. It's really up to her. There is no "set schedule" or "right". There's only what she needs and does.
    And be aware, it does not matter what the baby is fed. Switching to formula will not help. Adding cereals will not help. That is a pure myth. Mine was formula fed at that point and didn't "sleep through the night" regularly until 14 months. She started cereals at 4 months (per doctors orders for reflux) too.
    They sleep all night when they want to, when they aren't sick, when they aren't teething, when they aren't in the middle of a growth spurt, and when they aren't mastering a milestone. All of those things will disrupt sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My 3 week old son has his days and nights confused. . Mostly though, every 2-3 hours. Sometimes 4-6 hours in the day.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• your doc is wrong! dd just turned a year old and still nurses at night every 1-3 hrs (always has), although the sessions are a lot quicker now. babies will sleep through the night when they are ready. same goes for night nursing, they will stop when baby is ready for them to end (as long as you practice child-led weaning). go with your gut, and happy breastfeeding!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• my son started sleeping thru the night at around 2-3 months (from 11 or so at night until almost 7 in the morning). I think biologically they can sleep through the night at around 8 weeks, but every baby is different. Mine was waking up once in the night, and then the time he was waking up gradually lengthened until he finally slept through. I can tell you a book that did wonders for us was Babywise: Giving your child the gift of nighttime sleep. It talks about scheduling, and making sure your baby is getting enough calories during the day - with the help of that book, my son (and my older three) goes down for naps and bedtime awake, gets himself to sleep and sleeps through

Answer by missanc at 8:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• my 3 month old woke 4 times last night to eat. sleeping through the night- technically- is 5 hours together. DD went to sleep at 10:30 last night and was hungry around 3 or 3:30. she sleeps "through the night" several nights a week, but not every night. each baby is different- it sounds like your babe is doing well! :)
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• just wanted to add that we bed-share, so dd technically sleeps between 10-12 hrs/night. when she starts moving around, i get her latched on. she doesn't wake up, and i usually fall back to sleep during or after her feeding. it has been this way since she was 5 weeks old. i love bed sharing!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2009