Should I be worried?

My daughter has always been small. On the ultrasounds she was put in the 10% for growth. Since she was born she has consistantly stayed in the5-12% for her weight. In April she weighed 11lbs 8 ozs at her 4 month appoinment. well I took her for her 6 month appointment this week for her 6 month appointment and she only weighs 12 lbs 8 ounces. She has only gained on pound since then so she has dropped from the 12th percentile to now the 1 percentile. Her doctor is worried and wants to monitor her closely and try to increase her weight. One option is quitting breastfeeding because she thinks my milk doesn't have enough calories. She currently has me putting olive oil in her veggies and formula in her cereal. I'm worried, even though she seems soo healthy. Any ideas to help her gain weight?

faerymommie

Asked by faerymommie at 4:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd be worried too. It seems like she's not absorbing nutrients the way she shoulkd. I would still breastfeed but follow the doctor's orders
    Anonymous

• My son isn't even on the chart. He was born at 50% now at 10 months he is "too small". He eats like a pig but is just small. I don't know about your family but for my baby, there is nothing we can do. He is little because we are little. At his 9 month apointment he was only 16 pounds and 26 inches.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• How many other of the doctor's patients are breast fed? If she's continually being compared to formula fed babies, then it's quite possible your baby is just fine. Do you know a lot of other moms that breastfeed that you could see how your baby compares to them? I know my MIL said when my husband was a baby she and this other mom were the only ones that went to this one doctor that breastfed. My husband was on the chunky end and the other lady's baby was on the skinny end, so they were constantly teaching the doctor about breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't just let this slide,there could be something serious going on.Your child should be going up on the percentile chart,not dropping.This is usually the age where you see high growth.Is there a way to get your milk tested?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I would do what the doctor says and still BF if you choose to. Mommy your doing a great job don't think that it's you, My DD is 13 months and shes 20lbs formula feed im not even 5 ft tall and just over 100 lbs. I blamed myself for a few months and got really depressed about it so just listen to what the doctor saids and see what happens. She will be fine.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• At 3 months, my daughter weighed about 12lb. At 5 months she weighed about 13 or 14lb. I lost my milk shortly after 3 months. She wasn't healthy when I was breastfeeding, but it wasn't due to lack of calories or anything. She is lactose intolerant but we didn't figure that out until after I had lost my milk and we switched to formula. The only two kinds she could use were soy and milk based lactose free. Just because your baby is small, doesn't mean she's unhealthy. My baby had more than doubled her weight by 3 months (she was born 5lb 3oz) and she wasn't very healthy because of the milk thing. I would see another pediatrician about it and get a second (or even third) opinion.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I would definitely do what the doctor says. My daughter was always really small as well, but the doctors never worried because she always stayed on the same growth pattern.

At 3.5, she's about 28 pounds and my almost 2 year old nephew is 37 pounds. LOL
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 5:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My son has always been small(weight at birth was 6lbs 15oz). He was breastfed until he was 6 months old. At 6 months old he was 13.5 lbs...at 9 months old he was 14.5 lbs. He is 10.5 months old now and is up to 15 lbs dispite 20oz of forumla, 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Some babies are just small. If you or your DH are small then that is a contributing factor into why your DD is small.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 7:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Thing is the rest of our family is not small at all. She was 6 lb 15 oz at birth. My main worry is that she has dropped below the curve she was on.
    faerymommie

Answer by faerymommie at 7:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My son is 10 months and weights only 16 pounds yeah the docters are worried but they said as long as he is doing everything he is sopposed to be doing(sitting up, crawling, other things llike that) then not to be extreemly worried
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 10:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2009