weaning question?

what is it? Im pregnant with my first and I plan to breastfeed but i hear many mother's talking about weaning and breastfeeding. so what does it mean?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• weaning means slowly introducing milk or formula to your breastfed child...and trying to stop the whole nursing process. i started to wean my daughter at 11 months old and she was off the breast by the time she turned 14 months.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• every major health organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months, and a minimum of two years for breastfeeding. if you practice child-led weaning, your baby will wean when he/she is ready. the process will be gradual and probably occur between 18-24 months. this is the best thing to do. breastmilk never loses its benefits. if you are interested in breastfeeding, check out llli.org (la leche league), kellymom.com, join a breastfeeding group, and always ask questions! know your rights-many hospitals push formula, it is almost always never necessary. educate yourself and make informed decisions. congratulations, good luck, and happy breastfeeding!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I'm a first time mom too. My DD is 2 1/2 months old. I'm breastfeeding too. I want you to know the first few days/weeks can be hard. You're both learning. I was ready to give up my 2nd day home when my milk came in, but don't it's sooooooo worth the headache to get through that time. See a Lactation Consultant if you need help. We did and are doing great now!!! Try to surround your self with people that support your breastfeeding. (see groups in PP) I had to learn how to ignore my MIL cuz we didn't see eye to eye with the breastfeeding. In my opinion, I do think Breastmilk is BEST!!! Good luck & Congrats!!!
    kuulgrl80

Answer by kuulgrl80 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2009