Surgery and Breastfeeding?

I am having cervical surgery soon and I was wondering if I could still breastfeed after the surgery??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The pain meds are minute in the breastmilk. I was on a wound vac for 4 months and breastfeeding while taking Percocet. The wound doc and my OB were fine with it. I had a colonoscopy and a tooth extraction while breastfeeding my last child. I was told to pump and dump for 24 hours after the anesthetic was administered. There's no reason to quit. Just have some milk stored for the first 24 hours after the procedure.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I had kind of surgery to get my wisdom teeth out. I quit breastfeeding so I could take the pain meds they gave me.I was ready to stop anyways so that's another reason why I did. If you are going to be on meds. maybe you could use formula for a while and pump so you don't lose your milk. Or try not taking anything and just deal with it?
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My step-mom decided to stop because she had to get surgery and needed the meds.
    It's your choice and formula feeding is still as healthy, just not as natural.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• You can still breastfeed but make sure they give you some meds that wont get into your milk. I had to have a c-section and i was still able to breastfeed my son....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• atch the meds they put you on some pain killers go in brest milk some dont be sure to talk to a lactation consultant they will have the best advice because they care about your brest feeding a regular sergon might just say welllll stop feeding or delay surgery a lactation consultant woudl know all the ways you can try to do surgery and still feed your child the way you want to
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 9:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2009