Surgery and Breastfeeding?

I am having cervical surgery soon and I was wondering if I could still breastfeed after the surgery??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Health

• I had my gall bladder out when my first son was still breastfeeding. I let the Dr know about it before hand and also on the day of surgery (just to be sure). I was told to pump a few hours after surgery and throw away the milk. After that I was ok to nurse. Also I was given a lower dose of pain killer, so I was in more pain the next few days but I was still able to breastfeed. My son was close to 12 months at that time so he was okay to eat food for a couple of meals.
    I agree with everyone else. Talk to your Dr about it. Every medicine they prescribe remember to ask if it is okay to take while breastfeeding. Good Luck.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 6:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I would ask your OB.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• that's up to your doctor and the circumstances of your surgery and the medications administered to you during and any prescriptions after
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Probably. Be sure to tell your OB your breastfeeding first though. YOu don't want the medication to show up in the breast milk.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2009