potty training... am I right???

My dd is 19 mos. Stays dry during naps, mostly through the night, and has a set schedule during the day. I got her a potty when she was 13 mos old basically because she was always trying to sit on "mine" or climb in. Lately every time I have been going, she tries and wants her diaper off. She always hands me the wipes and a diaper and tells me when she "potty" or "poop" in it. I've been trying to get her started the last 3 days now. She's gone potty in the toilet once each day so far but seems to prefer to pee on the floor. When I try to put her on she cries and wants off (i'm thinking that is because she doesnt have to pee??). She tells me AFTER she goes, how do I get her to tell me before she goes? Is she actually ready even though she's showing all the signs???? I'm very confused at this point!!!

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You didn't say if you have her in underwear. I would NEVER use pullups, I did a little with my oldest nephew and it took MONTHS to PT him and he was 21/2! I put DD in underwear she only has a diaper at naps and bed. I have found that the trainer underwear don't work so well because DD pees more before it comes out. KWIM? If I have her in the thin underwear she only pees a few drops because she feels it. My DD peed several times on the floor right after getting off of the potty that first day. All I did was say oops, and put her on the potty as quick as I could. When she finally went on the potty we clapped and said Yay! and so she gets really happy when she gets it.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• she sounds ready. well, look for signs...does she squat to go pee or poop...or grunt...watch out for that and once she starts doing that, ask her are you going poop or pee and then say, want to go on the potty. she'll more than likely say yes. if she doesn't, don't stress out or get mad at her for not wanting to.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• It seems like she is very ready. Have a lot of patience. Maybe have her help you clean up her pee messes when that happens.
    I did a sticker chart for my DSS. It really helped him be motivated to notice the signs ahead of time. Have you asked her why she cries when you put her on the potty? Maybe she is scared of it? Maybe she is scared of what happens to her "parts" when you flush them. (this can be a problem for some children. They feel as if you are flushing awya pieces of themselves).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Thank you SOOO much for your advice!!!! I appreciate it!!
    I"ve tried asking her if she is scared and she just cries. When I pull her off she glares at it! Some toilets are ok (Toys R Us where she FIRST peed on the potty!) some aren't (Borders.... she screamed!!) Should I decorate my toilet do you think then? The stickers, she wants one anyways and gets into them when I'm not looking. Plus she won't go near the potty if I refuse to give her a sticker when she wants it!! LOL Now that I think about it, maybe she's trying to get her way by using this..
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I am going through potty training with my DD as well. I have her potty in the bathroom and when I go in she follows and I let her sit on her potty. She sits and reads a book and whether she goes or not, shes trying. Sometimes she does sometimes she doesnt. And if I am seeing a sign that she has to go, I go in and pretend that I have to go, so she will. The book thing really helps though. Find one she really loves and make that the potty book. So she only reads it when she goes potty then shell want to go into read that book. Also if she poos in her diaper I put it in the potty and let her flush so she can see that it needs to be in the potty. These have seemed to help. Its just a matter of getting her to tell me when she has to go, Hope this helps!
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I'm pting DD, she is 19 months. She still has several pee accidents a day, but poops on the potty and pees most of the time. I bought it for her when she was 14 months but have only started using it this week. She would sit on it before but with a diaper on(not a good idea, take it off). I bought a ring to go in the toilet when we are out(Yes, I cart it around with me everywhere), she uses that fine but won't go on a big toilet without the ring. It took us several hours of trying before she peed in the potty the first time, I just took her every time she had an accident and I watched her like a hawk so that if she looked like she was going I could take her. She started pooping on the potty that first day. She is doing really well.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2009