How do you get newborn on semi-"regular" schedule?

My newborn (3 weeks old) has been on a backwards schedule for the past few nights. She started off great and somehow has switched to stay up until 3 or 4 am. Any pointers are helpful at this point.

ZoeLife1

Asked by ZoeLife1 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't..

Answer by louise2 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My son will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I'm in the same boat. He has his days and nights confused. You really can't put a newborn on a schedule. You just have to be sleep-deprived and hope for the day your baby will sleep well through the night. Hopefully it will happen soon, for the both of us. Good luck and Happy 4th of July!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• when son was in the nicu he was feed every 3 hours no if ands or buts! and now my sons on a schedule and will be on one! its easyer that way for me... and now he sleeps during the night what is nice so he doesnt eat 2 feeds it nicw not wakeing up at night...
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 6:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• when you find out let me know.I have a 19 day old little girl whosleeps all day and is up ALL day.I feel your pain mama.At least now when your up all night tonight you know your not alone I'm prob up too.lol
    kat247

Answer by kat247 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I read a book called Babywise: Giving Your Child the Gift of Nighttime sleep and it helped me tremendously on getting my children on schedules. I have 4 children - they all slept through the night by 3-4 months and had fairly predictable schedules early. Granted, they had a large part in choosing their own schedule rather than one I put them on, but it was at least predictable enough that I could schedule my day around it.
    Some people are comfortable putting a baby on a schedule, others aren't. For me, it helped me tremendously and it's helped my children because they knew what to expect when.

Answer by missanc at 8:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• it is better to just follow baby's cues. maybe try to start a routine, rather than a schedule. i would recommend against babywise. sleep when baby sleeps, let things go. it will get better!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Honestly I dont think there is such thing as a schedule at that age. DD didn't get into somewhat of a schedule until about 3 months old.
    Anonymous

• yes you can! When i came home from the hospital I went to bed everynight at the same time. light out(TV on or night light) bottle and she would fall asleep.Every night i did the same thing...She is now 5 months and has been sleeping threw the nighht since she was 4 weeks old.She would go to bed at 930 up at 1 back to sleep til 7-8. Now she sleeps 10-7 and back to sleep til 8-9.Its do able :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• We have had a daughter sleeping through the night (at night) since 7 weeks. At 4 weeks she was sleeping a good 6-7 hour stretch but was going to bed at like 4 in the morning. So at 4 weeks I set a bedtime of 3:00am and did a night time routine every single time. a couple days later she was going to bed at 3am then I would just move it up every few days. Now at 4 months she goes to bed at 8:45 and sleeps till 8:15. They will eventually get it straigtned out. What I think with us that helped was setting up the routine. She got to know when those nightime routines happen, its about bedtime. Good luck hun and just sleep when she sleeps.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Luckly my baby (3 months) never got her nights and days mixed up. Since the day we brought her home we would lay her down in her crib between 8 and 9 to get her used to "going to bed". And sometimes she would refuse to go back to sleep after a feeding...but if she is full, and has a clean diaper...I will lay her back down in the crib and leave her alone. It was so hard for me to leave her there especially when she cried but now I'm glad I did. Now she knows what time she will be laid down in the crib, and she knows that it's time for her to sleep. And she sleeps thru the night.
    melissa0425

Answer by melissa0425 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2009