what is to high for an 8 month old temp

my sons is 102.8. i have given him motren but it helps for like 2 hrs then its back up again

mom-to-be21

Asked by mom-to-be21 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told 102. I live onbase and the drs here say bring them in if it gets to 102 just to make sure. I've heard others say 103 or such... I hope he feels better soon!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• MOST PEDI'S WANT TO SEE THE CHILD IF THEY HAVE A TEMP OF 100 OR MORE BUT DONT BE CONCERNED IF ITS NOT OVER 102 , IF IT IS TAKE THE CHILD TO THE ER IT CAN CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE AT 103
    Anonymous

• I would call an ask a nurse line, or your ped and ask. If you cant get ahold of either, I would take him into the ER just to be safe. Give him a bath every couple hours or any time it goes up. Try to make it like a little colder than reg bath water. And just let him play. Give him icees and cold things to drink. Try to put a cold washcloth on his forehead or back. Only if hes ok with it though you dont want him to be more miserable. I would probably just take him in though
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Take him to the ER. My son had this same problem at 10 days old, his temp was 101 at home, and 102.4 by the time we got to the hospital. We were triaged for 3 hours before being admitted to the peds ward. I don't know how old your child is about 8 month olds, but I was told that a fever that high in any baby under 6 weeks was an automatic admittance. Turns out Caleb had a bladder infection that turned into a blood infection (b/c babies systems are unable to isolate and contain infections, they spread) and we were in the hospital for 10 days on IV antibiotics. Not to scare you, but our pediatric attending doc said that if we had waited until the next day to see his pediatrician, he might have been septic. I wouldn't chance it - take him to the ER. It will be a pain and it will suck, but at least you will know for sure! Let us know he's ok!
    KarenAmbrose

Answer by KarenAmbrose at 8:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• his temp has dropped down to 100.7 and he is acting fine playing a lauging should i still take him in
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• 104
    Make sure you are giving a dose for his weight... that might be why his temp keeps going back up
    And you can also give Tylenol at the same time.
    And it does NOT cause brain damage at 103... that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Kids can (and adults) have temps up to 106 and are just fine (although I wouldn't want it to stay that high)
    And pediatricians only want to see a baby for a low temp of 100.4 id they are under 3 months old... otherwise 104 is usually when you can think about making an appointment... and it doesn't need to be an ER visit either unless the child looks very sick. Tylenol and Mortin and a vist in the morning is fine.
    It's most likely a virus... but it could be something more, so see your doc on Monday if it's not getting better or sooner if your child has other worrisome symptoms (trouble breathing, not drinking well, lethargic)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• temp of 103 does NOT cause brain damage!! That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Unless the temp isn't going down with meds, I wouldn't worry. 102 is basically an average fever. heck I don't even give my son meds unless he's over 101, since a fever is the body's way of fighting something. Brain damage occurs after fevers of at least 107 for future reference.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2009