• In the Spotlight:

Picking cucumbers

How can you tell when the cucumber is ready to be picked? I am growing a container garden with bush cucumbers. They are a bit different than I'm used to seeing, being a bit prickly, short, really really large and round, but with a long skinny tip that looks the cuke hasn't developed all they way down its length.

These are a really nice mild smooth tasting cuke, and it looks like its going to yeild plenty, but I don't want to pick them too soon.

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 7:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Maybe pick just one and see if it's ready. If not, you've only lost one =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• WHEN YOU FEEL THEM THEY WILL BE ALITTLE SOFT IN THE MIDDLE AND HARDER AT THE ENDS THAT IS A GOOD TIME TO PICK THEM.... YOU CANT REALLY TELL ANY OTHER WAY
    Anonymous

• In my experience when the homegrown ones get as big as the store bought ones they taste bitter.So we have been picking ours when they look like the ones you described.Short,fat and prickly lol
    jermi2911

Answer by jermi2911 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• you don't want to pick them beyond 4 inches in length. If they are longer then that make use of them in other ways like creamy cukes, oil and vineager cukes or grow them really big and have hubby use them as target practice. lol
    Really you want them to be small to medium in size for best flavor
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2009