my 1 year will not eat nothing what do i do

it started on friday i made my 1 year something and she did not eat and in the morning did the something :( im scared what going on i what to know someone help me

LovingMom0323

Asked by LovingMom0323 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kiddo is finicky. Sometimes he will eat a lot, sometimes he goes through phases where he barely eats. Try to think of it this way, our bodies send up a signal when we need to nourish ourselves. Just keep offering food and eventually her body will send her the signal that she needs to eat. Also, if she gets a lot of milk, try cutting back a little as to how much milk she gets. That helped with my baby. I think milk is pretty filling and can curb the appetite quite a bit.
    If you are really concerned though and she keeps it up over the next couple of days, call your pediatrician.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• try feeding her ice cream. The health dept nurse told me to do that when my son wouldn't eat. I fixed him milkshakes even for breakfast! A lot had to do with the heat. Try things like mac & cheese when she feels up to eating again, or noodle soup or veg soup or something else light. peanut butter and crackers will be good too. She'll eat when she feels up to it but make food available like fruit.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I think that every kid goes through stages where they are so busy that they dont want to eat. My son is 1 and does that every now and then. I just figured out that he is in a stage where he wants nothing to do with bite sized peices. He has to tote around something (like a thick slice of turkey, a peice of cheese, slice of toast) and take bites off of it himself.
    Maybe you can try that?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 7:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I would say try to find anything she will eat and let her eat it.. even if it means she only wants to eat a cookie for breakfast or whatever it may be atleast shes eating..does she have any other things going on that may give you a sign shes not feeling good or just not eating?
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Put something out for her to snack on that you know she likes, where she can reach it. When she's hungry she'll eat it. When my twins won't eat it means they are getting teeth in or getting an ear infection. If she doesn't have a fever then I wouldn't worry too much :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• my son can be very fickle at times. he usually loves green beans, but a few nights ago he prefered to throw it all on the floor. but he was also used to parmesan cheese on it which we were out of...maybe that's why lol...but it still got me a little frustrated since that was his dinner. what did you serve her at night and for breakfast? was it something she usually likes? maybe she is ready for something new, or maybe she just wasnt hungry at the time?!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• All of these answers will help. But remember this: The bottom line is that your child will eat when he/she is hungry. Sometimes by babying them and trying foods that you wouldn't normally let your child have till they have eaten their dinner, you are causing another problem. You are enabling the development of a picky eater, and that is much worse to contend with than just having a child not eat. Don't change your routine, your child will get hungry and when she does, you will provide the food you have been providing all along.
    TCliffman

Answer by TCliffman at 10:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• have you tried yogurt? my DD loves it and will eat it almost everytime i offer it. i wouldn't offer junk just to get him to eat, that will only make him not eat so that he gets the junk (my 4 y/o cousin does this with her papaw, it's not healthy at all). have you tried things that he can pick up and eat? my DD loves to feed herself and we often give her what we're having if it's where we can, then fill her up on baby food later. have you been giving him more table food and he's refusing to eat the baby food? she also does this and we do lay off the table food a bit and give her more baby food till she's back to eating it again, she normally eats what she can table food and i balance it out with baby food (if she only ate veggies i make sure she eats a meat baby food). she also won't eat if there's alot going on, the tv has to be off and if we're out she has trouble concentrating on the food.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• just keep giving him what you normally do and he'll eventually eat it. like a PP said, if you're giving him a bunch of milk lay off of that some and offer water in a sippy. he'll only drink to quench thirst, not fill up.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My son gets like that too. He is actually going through that now. It will happen more than once. He goes through that stage everytime he cuts a new tooth. So is your baby teething? If so that could be the problem. Think about it, if their mouth is hurting they're not going to put anything in it! Don't stress honey. You sound just like I did so I take it this is his first stage of it. You have many more to come! It will get easier as you understand more. But you know yourself that there are days that you eat more than others... It will pass.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2009