Why is he doing this?

My 10 month old makes this scrunched up face with a huffy puffy noise when he doesn't get his way, or sometimes just out of the blue (maybe he didn't get his way and I didn't realize he even wanted something). My question is, is this the begining of a tantrum? It's cute and funny, but I don't want to re-enforce it if it's a tantrum thing. Or is he just expressing himself and trying out new facial expresions?

honestycounts

Asked by honestycounts at 1:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh you're in a tough position. I could easily be either one or even both! If it we're me I would make an executive decision to just not re-enforce it even if he is just making face expressions (honestly him experimenting and making faces doesn't even need to be re-enforced). Good Luck!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Yes my dear it is the beginning (run for the hills it is toddlerhood coming) my 11 month old does the same thing, I do tap his fingers or his thigh cause he likes to kick and say no no we don't do that. It's normal. Good Luck!
    ProudMammaBear

Answer by ProudMammaBear at 2:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• It's normal, chill.  Enjoy the fact that he is 10 months old and cute.  It doesn't last long.  What I have done with my five boys is, first I don't react to it and then I softly say "shhhhhhhhhh" every time.  He will get it and stop as long as he isn't getting a reaction.  But tantrums, now that is something to scream about in a few months you will be the one screaming! 

Don't worry enjoy! 

Sleepless55

Answer by Sleepless55 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I'd say you should NOT laugh when he does it... it may not be a tantrum now, but it will be soon.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Nip it in the bud before it starts!! Tantrums are not cute or funny.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• my DD is 10 months old and will get hissy when she doesnt get her way and start to throw a little fit. i just ignore it. is she gets too mad ill say something to her, like calm down or go get your cheerio's. but i never pick her up when shes throwing a fit.
    kelcee_eric_bry

Answer by kelcee_eric_bry at 12:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2008