he is going to be one on the 11th and still only babbles...is it normal?

I am just worried because i had a speech impediment and didn't talk till i was 3. I am worried that he will follow in the same footsteps. He started to refer to me as mum or mumma, but now everything is mum or mumma or he will just sit there and sing it. and my friends baby who is only 2 months older, is able to speak several words now. i am going to mention my concerns when we go to the doc for his 12 month check up but wanted to see what you all thought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes! just keep encouraging him to talk. read to him, point to food in the grocery store, sing nursery rhymes and interact with clapping songs... he'll eventually get it and one day just talk out of nowhere. my son is 14 months old and prefers to babble, but one day out of nowhere at 10 months old, he called his dad DADDY and when changing his diaper he said PEE PEE after I did. he hasnt said those words since. but when SO walks in from work he runs to him repeating DADA, he says NANA when he wants a drink or is hungry, he meows at the kitty...so he says a few things, but still babbles. all babies develop at their own pace. SO didnt talk till he was 3, but he is a very smart guy. Einstein didnt talk till he was 3 either!!!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My 18 month old twins still just jibber-jabber so don't sweat it.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Well, there is some chance for the late-talkers to run in families, however, doesn't necessarily mean it'll be that way. Just keep talking to them when you're doing things/going about your day, and they'll probably just come outta nowhere and start yapping! Our LO was about 15 mos before he clearly started saying things.
    Anonymous

• do you talk to him like you would an adult or do you do baby talk? that can make a big difference in how early a baby talks. my daughter just turned one and she talks some, but most of her communication is gestures and grunts. you might suggest this to your pedi while there, but i don't think they worry about it until later. just keep talking to him and pronouncing words the right way, he'll catch on then you'll be wishing he'd be quiet sometimes.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Some kids don't talk until they are 2.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My 18 month old DD doesnt talk yet either. I asked the Dr about it and she said everything was fine. She checked her hearing and got me to get her to "jibber jabber" and she said that it seems she is trying to talk and thats a good sign (she didnt start "trying" to talk untill just over a month ago) The Dr also said that if everyhthing checks out ok then they dont worry about them not talking untill after they turn two. I wouldnt worry about it if I were you, but it never hurts to just ask the Dr.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I thing I got em all beat ;) my TWO year old isn't talking either!!! Although there may be reasons behind that. I would definitely have him/her evaluated is the baby crawling or trying to walk yet? It may be too early to decide just yet but my son was delayed in talking and walking and come to find out it was because of his hearing. He isn't deaf but he can't hear as well as you and I can. Just get the doc to check him out. My son has a speech pathologist come out to our house once a week to help him. Good luck!

nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My 19 month old babbled until about 2 weeks ago now! She says things here and there but still babbles some stuff. I would say since he is already babbling, you are in the clear! At least he is babbling and will be talking in no time... mine said Mama, Dada, and ball at a year..... that was it until 2 weeks ago!!! Suddenly she names almost everything in sight and sings her ABCs 123s and such! Keep working with him, he is learning and will say it one day to totally surprise you! My youngest brothers FIRST words were "i got it away from you!" up until then it was grunting!! Then my Gpa offered him a $1 if he would say Grandpa at 2.5 yrs old (he was only grunting) and he said it right away! Just because he babbles doesn't mean he isn't understanding or doesn't know... plus he might like the sounds! :)
    Hope this helps and GL! Yes, still talk to the dr just to be sure it isn't anything else!!! :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It can be normal. My son on the other hand started talking at around ten months. we were sooo proud that he could say sooo many words. lol. Now I just wish he would hush! Babies develop at different speed. Usually boys are slower with the speech than girls anyway. Your LO is probably working more on his motor skills right now and most babies only like to work on one thing at a time. Watch him, I bet he is trying harder to walk is he's walking already then maybe he's working on learning to run and climb right now. Even if he does end up having delayed speech or speech problem at least you will know and be able to start working with him sooner rather than later. I would not be to concerned until he is 2 but for sure talk to your ped. that's a great idea.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I got the baby sign language videos because my DD had trouble with words. It helped a ton because she really didn't start talking until she was two, but the sign language gave her a way to communicate.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2009