Is There A Such Thing As The Terrible Ones?

my DD used to be the sweetest, calmest, happiest child. but since she turned one (about a month ago) she has been fighting everything, screaming about the littlest things, & so angry. so i was wondering if it was possible for a toddler to go threw the "terrible" stage early, or if this was normal toddler behavior. its like i have a totally different child haha.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 9:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• haahaa, my almost 11 month old has figured out that if she screams and throws a tantrum she "MIGHT" just get what she wants. So she now loves table food. She was exhausted and needed bed. but daddy decided to walk in and start eating behind her. She got soooooooo pissed off. She started bucking and screaming. wanting daddy's food. LOL...they all go through this stage. It is teaching them that that kind of attitude will get them no where.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 11:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I ask my son what happened to the terrible twos? Its not called the terrible 16 months give mama a break. lol. It always cracks my husband up. haha. Its normal. Its just their way of communication. Until they have words to tell you want the do (or don't ) want thats the best way they can explain it.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• lol well she is approaching the "terrible twos"...about a month ago my son (14 m/o) threw his very first tantrum. he has stomped his feet and screamed before, but nothing like this. the fridge was open and he grabbed the ketchup, I took it from him to put back so I could close the door. he started shaking, screamed, got stiff and fell flat on the floor. it freaked me OUT! but he was fine and I took him to the LR to calm down and put Noggin on the TV. I went back to the kitchen and after a few minutes it was like it never happened! so yeah this is normal and yes i would say there is such thing as the "terrible ones" lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Yes!!! I have twins going through it now so I totally feel for yah Momma :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Aw. this is why early childhood education professionals are trying to encourage the term "troublesome toddlers" ...they can hit the defiant attitude any time after they learn how to walk.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I have to wonder. My son is 14 months and he has such a fit at times. One day he was starring at one of his fisher price little people and just started screaming at it then threw it across the room. Apparently they got into a fight, LoL!
    Anonymous

• Take comfort in this: Anytime a child begins the normal stages at a younger age it is considered accelerated. In intellectual settings this is deemed highly preferrable. But when it comes to fit throwing and such we tend to look at as a glimpse of what's to come. Your child is simply advanced, and this could very well be a good thing. She is finding the need early to develop ways in which to express her feelings which in the long run will affect her verbal abilities. Believe me, you have it easy.... the teenage years will make you feel like these years are nothing but easy! :)
    TCliffman

Answer by TCliffman at 9:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My son is 19 months old and he's been in the tantrum throwing stage for several months now. lol!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• My daughter is turning one this month and I am beggining to think that there is such a thing as the terrible ones...or like outstandingLove said, maybe we should just call it the "troublesome toddlers" phase :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 10:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I have an 11 month old (one year in 2 weeks) and he already throws tantrums. He's not walking yet but he's getting there. He gets frustrated at little bitty things and since he cant really talk to me, I cant always figure out whats wrong. If I cant I try everything one more time.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 10:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2009