How do you get the smell of cat urine out of a rug or blanket?

seasidegrandma

Asked by seasidegrandma at 10:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Walmart has a spray you can buy. It works really well! I can't remember what it's called. (maybe cat urine remover even! LOL! ) It has a picture of a cartoon cat and dog on it. You can use it for urine, barf, whatever!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I googled your question and got this: Use this method on your clothing, bedding, rugs or anything you think you can stuff in the washer (not including your cat). Simply add ¼ cup apple cider vinegar along with your normal laundry detergent, start the washer and VOILA!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• And this for the rug: This is a great recipe for removing cat urine odor from carpet. Start by blotting up as much of the urine as possible with old rags or paper towels. Next mix 3 parts water with one part vinegar and saturate the spot.Dry thoroughly using the same method mentioned above. Once dry, sprinkle the area with Baking Soda. Next mix ¾ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with one tsp. dish detergent and sprinkle over the Baking Soda. Try this first on a small inconspicuous area of the carpet to make sure the hydrogen peroxide won’t discolor your carpet. Next, use your fingers or an old brush to work the Baking Soda in. I’ve used an old hairbrush with little bits of plastic over the tips with good results. Allow this to dry and vacuum it up. If there’s still a slight odor when done, lather, rinse and repeat.

Good luck!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• depends if its urine or spray. I havent had any problems getting urine outa things but then again ive only had my cat pee on clothing. One wash and they were fine. Now spray yea good luck with that. I would just toss it. (and have before my cats were fixed)
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 10:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• in my experience nothing!

throw it away!
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I'm with above. Toss it.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I have used the laundry febreeze - it is a bit pricey- but it works. I did hear someone say to use pine-sol in the laundry use 1-2 CAP fuls in the wash load and that is supposed to get out bad smells.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I had this problem once when I unexpectedly went into labor with my son and was in the hospital for two weeks! And needless to say kitty didn't get out of the house for two weeks. I did both lol. I mixed apple cider vinegar with regular white distilled vinegar, washed it, febreezed It, washed it again and let it "sun" for about a week and it was like a brand new rug!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Rug - Vinegar and water. Pour the vinegar straight onto a wash cloth and rub the area. Follow with a water rub.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If it can be washed in the washing machine, then spraying it first might be good, but it should come out. If it cant be washed, then spraying it with the urine remover from walmart or the pet store is first and then steam cleaning it with the hand tool on a cleaner is the next best thing. I have a steam cleaner because I have rugs and I want to keep my carpet clean. Theres this stuff at walmart called Kids n pets. That stuff smells good and with a little work it can get out smells.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2009