How do you handle your mouthy teen?

I need help please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I tell him "Oh yeah, I've got something for that" That something could be me keeping his allowance, or it could be me not letting his friends come over ALL THE TIME. Just the threat usually strikes fear in him, lol. He has a cell phone now so if he makes me mad I can easily log on and interupt his service... Ooops, guess we shouldn't have mouthed off! Most of the time I just tell him "Are you serious?" and give him a look. I never argue with him though, if he has a legitimate concern I'll address it but I don't get into all the petty crap that he wants to argue over.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• i ignor her ! that usually gets her to stop and think before she speaks.
    and if my teen needs a ride or something then no she won't get it if she keeps mouthing off.
    Anonymous

• Been dealing with that and it's a direct result of communication w/a boy she has been communicating with. Her mouthiness even made my son's friend want to go home. We told her we're trying to raise a person who is nice and respectful so be nice, and took the phone away. No more communication w/negative boy, and the negativity stopped.....I also sometimes just give the look and walk away. Girls like to engage, so sometimes she will follow me around...I keep ignoring or give one word answers. I think it's fine to deny a request and say, "I'm too mad at you right now to consider doing x for you". I like the pp "Are you serious?"
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Hi friend,

You are so right in saying "Girls like to engage". I have two sons ages 19 and 23 and they were not near as mouthy as my girl. She does like to engage. She will keep the argument going for seems like no reason at all. The boys gave up a lot quicker than she does. I don't find that taking anything away really helps with her. She is very, very stubborn.

This also makes it difficult because, where do you think she got this trait from. So two stubborn people trying to discuss anything can be a real chore at the best of times.

Cheers,

Cheryl
    Reddie

Answer by Reddie at 9:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2009