What do you really think our founding fathers would think?

I ask because so many people are fond of saying how far the country has strayed from their vision. Now I'm as proud to be American as I can be. I think that our founding fathers were brilliant visionaries in many areas. But I feel that many people overlook some key facts about these men. They weren't perfect and they didn't live perfect lives.

People that talk about the founding fathers are generally referring to the ever increasing deficit and the shrinking rights of the state and the individual. But I think that there's a lot more that they would be unhappy about. What say you? ONLY THOUGHTFUL, INTELLIGENT, RESPECTFUL POST PLEASE!

Dara.M

Asked by Dara.M at 11:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• one doesn't have to lead a perfect life to know right from wrong!

our founding fathers were WAY ahead of their time in the way they wrote The Constitution. What they didn't count on was liberal judges and lawyers twisting and reinterpreting The Constitution and the justice system that it was based on as it fit their agenda!
    Anonymous

• i think they would be proud of certain things & upset about others. i think they would like that we have given rights to non-whites & women, and that all citizens can vote, proud that we survived the Civil War & 2 World Wars, & proud that they're sacrifices were not in vain & that we are important.

but they would be disgusted at how careless we are w/ our freedoms, how disgraceful we are to those we disagree with, how we have become an unapologetic world police. they wouldnt like how we feel the right to every aspect of the President's personal business & how we care more about that than their policies.

but i think most of all they would be shocked that their "treasonous" actions played out so wonderfully. that we are a united nation of 50 states that span the entire continent.

anon: Presidents have been misinterpreting the Constitution since Jefferson...buying land isnt Constitutional...yet he did it anyway, hate him too?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Benjamin Franklin‟s comment to a woman bystander who asked him as he emerged from the Philadelphia Convention, „What kind of government have you given us?‟ “A Republic, Madam,If You Can Keep it!”
    I think they would not be suprised, but yet I heartbroken over all the blood spilled to give freedom to a people only to have them submit to tyranny.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• anon: Presidents have been misinterpreting the Constitution since Jefferson...buying land isnt Constitutional...yet he did it anyway, hate him too?

I have to ask, WHERE did you come up with that??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Jefferson bought Louisiana from Napoleon even tho the Constitution says nothing about a President having that power. yet, Jefferson was against a federal bank b/c the Constitution said nothing about it. so he interpreted the Constitution to say what he wanted it to say so that he could use his power as he saw fit...just like countless others after him...to fit their own agendas.

what i was trying to do is prove that many ppl throughout our history have interpreted the Constitution to fit their agenda. everybody is so focused on us vs them, that they forget thats its about SO much more than that. the Constitution was reinterpreted to allow slaves freedom, all citizens the right to vote & to repeal segregation. yet i bet at the time there were ppl screaming that this was wrong & a misuse of the Constitution. just cause you dont like something doesnt make it "twisted".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• yet, Jefferson was against a federal bank b/c the Constitution said nothing about it.

Jefferson was against a federal bank because that "federal" bank was unConstitutional. It would have taken away the gold standard. Look at where that federal bank has gotten us since its establishment. And by the way it isn't really "federal" but privately owned. Jefferson was not the only president to fight that bank and fiat currency. Lincoln also fought it, so did Jackson and many others.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 7:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think our founding fathers would be disgusted by the people of this country now, but I don't think they would be surprised at all. As Franklin's quote suggests they understood that it would be difficult to keep our Republic (not democracy). However, I think they would be saddened at how easily the American people have given up and allow tyranny to take control. The last Americans to make a stand for upholding the Constitution and the ideals of the founding fathers were the brave men and women of the Confederacy.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 7:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• okmanders I misinterpreted what you meant, I thought you meant for a citizen to buy property.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• The last Americans to make a stand for upholding the Constitution and the ideals of the founding fathers were the brave men and women of the Confederacy

For upholding slavery????
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Carpy, the War for Southern Independance was not completely about slavery. In fact, that was a very small portion of the problem. Do a double check on your history please. If you will note in the Constitution the states had every right to leave the union. Even the northern states agreed with this and thus had many of their senators imprisoned for saying so. Lincoln wanted a totalitarian government which was against the Constitution and the southern states said no. The south paid 90% of the taxes in the Union but had the least representation in Congress. The Morrill Tariff was the last straw which would have raised taxes in the south even further. Taxes usually benefitted northern states because they had the highest number of representatives in Congress. Sooo.... the bottom line was taxation without representation. Slavery did not enter the picture until Lincoln needed more money for his war.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 11:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2009